Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

240sx LS1 swappers, need some help here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240sx LS1 swappers, need some help here!

Hi guys! let me start off by saying how much info ive gotten off this site! so far one of the best info ive seen! Ok well heres my questions. i have a 95 S14 that im planning on swapping a ls1/t56 into. I was wondering what mounts everyone was using? ive seen the a r33 cross member helps? im just looking for some alternatives to spending $800+ for mounts from hinson. So pls let me know what some of you guys are doing for this or if im stuck with getting the hinsons.

Thanks!

Dusty B.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Launching!

i'll have to dig up where i bought mine from, but any universal hotrod style mount will fit the bill and come up wayyyyyyy cheaper than hinson's kit and you won't screw up your suspension geometry by lowering the subframe . my universal hotrod mounts were about $100 shipped, and misc metals for the subframe and trans mount totaled maybe $50.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

i use the stock camaro mount and packed them with high temp chalking. the chalking made them very stiff.(aint very pretty i know)
a crapy pic of the u-brackets we made. it mounts the same way it did in the camaro. but the bracket is kinda big and its heavy.
my way might not be the best way thou. but its how we did it on my 95. mounts was just one less thing i had to buy. we didnt drop the cross member but it would have been easier if we did. could have done it better. hard to weld around on it while its on the car.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Default mounts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Would these work ok? welding and cutting isnt a big deal for me. i can get it done. but i dont want to get mounts that need to be completely re-done.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dustybaird
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Would these work ok? welding and cutting isnt a big deal for me. i can get it done. but i dont want to get mounts that need to be completely re-done.
bump! I'd like to know too!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

damn you guys like to spend money lol. i made my own plates out of 1/4 steel and a drill press(hand drill of your limited on tools) and mounts i picked up from autozone. then from the motor mount to the frame you have two options. Ken style plates over your stock mounts, or Chin style solid blocks of alum with holes drilled. either will work fine. the tranny mount has unlimited possibilities. so far i havnet spent alot on mounting equipment, but my setup is probly the least welded (minus subframe) out there and im trying to keep it that way. i like things to unbolt so they can be replaced, instead of permanently added.

have you even taken a stab at any other aspect of this swap? trust me when i say the mounts are probly the easiest part of it.

if you get stuck just hit me on aim man.

Last edited by datboibrad; 12-14-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Teching In

im looking into the swap to but im thinking about tryin to make a one off subframe im getting alot of help from v8 guys that have done in other cars but im useing a moke up block and a old half cut my buddy had just so i dont have to have my car down while im playing with a welder
Old 12-14-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

tube subframe would be sweet but not the easiest thing to make and make right over and over.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white-tshirt-guy
im looking into the swap to but im thinking about tryin to make a one off subframe im getting alot of help from v8 guys that have done in other cars but im useing a moke up block and a old half cut my buddy had just so i dont have to have my car down while im playing with a welder
Are you planning to make a jig to weld up the subframe? If so, then it would be easier to duplicate it for more people. That would be SWEET! Ken
Old 12-15-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya, like i said it another post. making a new subframe that uses mounts and brackets already made is the best way to go. just find the best brackets to use and make a subframe. then there are places you can just ship the subframe to and they make copies for you. and then you are selling subframes. that would be the only custom part needed then. beside the tranny. which isnt tough.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by the.erinyes
Are you planning to make a jig to weld up the subframe? If so, then it would be easier to duplicate it for more people. That would be SWEET! Ken
yeah that is waht i was planning on doin i just need to find a junk block first i have the half cut .finding a junk block is harder than i thought it would be
Old 12-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Teching In

jegs sells a mockup block. i think theres one on ebay right meow for 200$. get it
Old 12-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by murphy660
jegs sells a mockup block. i think theres one on ebay right meow for 200$. get it
thank for tellin me about the one on ebay i have it check in has 4 days left on one it so we will see and i seen the ones in jegs and there is an other place that has them too .but im goin to probley get one after the first of the year and start on it then if ppl can wait then i will be more than happy to build it and test it first then sell it and ill sell it way cheaper than hinsen but we will see how it goes
Old 12-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Teching In

well keep us updated man. cause that would be such an improvement over hinson. im still confused of what your trying to sell/make tho. just a complete front sub frame with custom x-member and mounts etc for ls1? if so, sweet
Old 12-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by murphy660
well keep us updated man. cause that would be such an improvement over hinson. im still confused of what your trying to sell/make tho. just a complete front sub frame with custom x-member and mounts etc for ls1? if so, sweet
the x member with mounts for steering rack and motor (motor cradle)
Old 12-16-2006, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

This site is awesome if you want to do a CADD drawing and have the part made for you. It can also import drawings and it will give you a price to construct the part, which if acceptable you can get it made. Here is the link: http://www.emachineshop.com/

Quick Reply: 240sx LS1 swappers, need some help here!