Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Seats (light weight seats)

Old 10-06-2006, 11:02 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UPDATE: Racing Seats (light weight seats)

I am into weight reduction and I wanted to share somthing I found out today. I was planning on buying some stock looking seats from Corbeau called The Sport Seat that weighs 23 lbs. without a mounting bracket. Now I know that this seat is not really anymore of a racing style seat than the stock seat and it is not a fixed seat that can weigh as little as 14 to 18 lbs., but I`m into the sleeper look. What I`m getting at is that my stock driver side, manual, 2002 Z28 leather seat weighed 24.5 lbs. without the bracket. The bracket weighed 12.75 lbs. on the drivers side which has a extra feature on it that the passanger side dosen`t have. ( didn`t weight the passanger side ). I`m thinking about making a fixed bracket for my stock seats out of some aluminum brackets and I`m thinking I can save at least 19 lbs. with the aluminum I have weighed out for the brackets. (19 lbs. is an estimate on the weight savings for both seats). Just thought I`d share this with you fellas. I`m down to 3015 lbs. now on a 1/4 tank and me not in the car. The only way you can tell from the outside of the car is that I don`t have back seats. I`m running SS stock 17`s with A/C and stock stereo system. All the comforts are still in the car but the back seats. I hope this will put me right at or under 3000 lbs. curb weight. Well I should be under 3000 lbs. on a empy tank now, but who actually rides around on a empty tank. I probably should have posted this in the weight reduction sticky so move it there if you want. I`ll check back on this post Sat. night.
Later Al

Last edited by al; 10-18-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

dude thats awwsome!! they never saw it comin
Old 10-07-2006, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like you have the "quiet look". Nobody can tell the car is lightweight until too late. What are mods did you do to get the car in this weight range.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wanna know too, thats ****** light
Old 10-07-2006, 07:33 AM

I know you said manual seat, but I thought the leather seat with motors was 70#'s. Are the motors really that much weight?.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Dude that is hella light to still have everything you say in it. So did you spend a ton of money on light weight parts? What did you have to do to get down to that weight?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I get my car down to that weight and it's going low 10's LOL.... what have you done to get the weight out, of ahte a/c, radio and all that are still there? I need to take a page from your book.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:37 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

OK guys I got my book out and here it goes. I ordered my 2002 Z28 with a with a 6 speed the Hurst shifter and leather as my only options. No T-tops or power seats or windows.
ASP undredrive pully- save 4lbs
QA1 front shocks-save 6.5lbs.........gained 1 lb. with the QA1 257lb springs
Spare tire Jack and hardware-36 lbs.
Light battery-save17.5 lbs...been on my daily driver since 3-25-2005
Hatch cover, 2 child seat brackets and plastic piece under the carpet in spare tire area-save 4.75lbs

Forgot to mention I`m running a true dual X pipe that dumps befor the axle. I know....that gives the sleeper look away somewhat.

Under car heat shields and exhaust bracket near transmission-8.5 lbs
Front bumper support with foam, washer fluid res. and plastic covers under the front bumper -29lbs
Stock cat back with hangers-30lbs
Both door side bars-17lbs......one was actually heavier than the other?????
3 floor mats 2 sun visors a towel I had wraped around a hand air pump-7.25lb
BMR K-member - save29.5lbs
BMR front lower A-arms - save - 5.5lbs
Rear bumper support - 20.5 lbs
Rear spring seats - 2lbs
Cut off front bumper support brackets - 5.5lbs.
Cut out bracing from under front fenders- 8.5 lbs.....my friend didn`t cut out as much as I did and he saved about a pound more than I did?????? Weighed on same scale.
Rear seats and rear seat belts - 33lbs
Pin on hood ( no pins ) removed hood shocks, latch, hinges, and latch cable. saved - 44lbs
Removed stock carpet and cut out some of the rubber mat ( plastic ) where your feet are. Stock carpet was 38lbs, the mat was 4.25 lbs. Ozite carpet 4.5 lbs pluse glue - save 37 lbs. It looks damn good to
Headers were 24.5 lbs lighter than the stock manifolds and cats, but I know my X- pipe weighs more than the stock Y pipe. Not sure on the weight loss on the X- pipe. The stock Y pipe weighed 12.5 lbs. Thats it. You really gotta pop the hood off to see that I`ve taken alot of weight off. I was running the stock cat back with the dumped X-pipe for the ultimate sleeper look but that was 30 lbs just sitting there so it had to go. I plan on putting it back on for inspection so it looks like I have my exhaust running out the back of the car.

Last edited by al; 10-07-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

so i did some figuring and got 341.25 lbs plus whatever you lost with the headers and y...so it sounds like your car was light to begin with, but still that is alot of freaking weight to lose and still look stock
Old 10-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

makes more sense now. Personaly I'll never remove the bumper supports on a car I dirve on the street, but that's just me. The door bars I will cut out once I have my cage in, as teh door bars on the cage are probably stronger anyway. I planned to do a set of kirkey seats, which will take teh weight of the roll bar out, and do LW ozite carpet when I have the interior out for teh cage install.

I have my rear seats out, pbh support bar out, spare, jack, t top plastic, all teh sound deadenign stuff out of the trunk, washer bottle out, all the heat shields, a pc680 battery up front, a/c out of the car, qa1 shocks all around, and an aftermarket rear swaybar, which I am sure added weight. I did add a 12 bolt, Th400 in place of the T56 and it's got to be a bunch heavier, jsut because it holds more then twice the fluid. Headers, a catted Y, and a LM catback, not sure if the ls2 block is any heavier then a stock ls1 is, but I know the ET heads are heavier then the stock ones.. alot more mat'l there. I will know an exact weight this weekend, providing the track's scale is on , but I'm expecting the car to be abotu 3600 to 3700 with my 275lbs in it. Like I said, if I were to get mine to teh weight of your car, it's going low 10's (should run 10.80 or so now, hopefully will prove that theory tomorrow)
Old 10-07-2006, 07:10 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Magnet
so i did some figuring and got 341.25 lbs plus whatever you lost with the headers and y...so it sounds like your car was light to begin with, but still that is alot of freaking weight to lose and still look stock
OK that sounds about right.when I weighed the car stock it was 3355lbs. Now that 3355 was estimated down to a 1/4 tank. What I mean was I fuled up on the way to work and I sneaked into the yard after work and used the scales and I weighed with me in it. It was 3640 so I subtracted 210 for me and 75lbs to "estimate" the weight of my car on a 1/4 tank. Every time I took weight off I subtracted the weight from this weight. Now I have confirmed the weight two times since I weighed it stock and I have been right on the money both times on a scale that rounds the weight off to 10s. The last time I weighed it it was 3130 on a actual 1/4 tank. So I have subtracted all the weight that I have took off since and came up with 3015lbs. on a 1/4 tank of fule. After I make the light weight seat bracketts I will confirm the weight on a scale just to be 100%sure. So if you take the stock 3355 and subtrack 341 that would be 3014. I guess the weight I saved on the headers was lost on the X-pipe. That means that my X-pipe must weigh .........36 lbs?????????? That don`t sound right.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:51 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Did the custom seat bracketts this weekend and I saved about 17lbs. I saved 11.5 lbs. on the drivers side and 5.5 on the passanger side. Once again the drivers side manual brackett weighed in at 12.75 lbs and the passanger side brackett was only 7 lbs. Both the bracketts I made were just under two lbs. per side. I did keep my passanger seat all the way back befor, but now I have it about even with my seat in driving position.( both bracketts are non adjustable ) I should be at 2999 or so lbs. on a 1/4 tank of fuel now.

Last edited by al; 10-18-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Anys pics of the brackets?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by al
OK guys I got my book out and here it goes. I ordered my 2002 Z28 with a with a 6 speed the Hurst shifter and leather as my only options. No T-tops or power seats or windows.
ASP undredrive pully- save 4lbs
Spare tire Jack and hardware-36 lbs.
Light battery-save17.5 lbs...been on my daily driver since 3-25-2005
Hatch cover, 2 child seat brackets and plastic piece under the carpet in spare tire area-save 4.75lbs

Forgot to mention I`m running a true dual X pipe that dumps befor the axle. I know....that gives the sleeper look away somewhat.

Under car heat shields and exhaust bracket near transmission-8.5 lbs
Front bumper support with foam, washer fluid res. and plastic covers under the front bumper -29lbs
Stock cat back with hangers-30lbs
Both door side bars-17lbs......one was actually heavier than the other?????
3 floor mats 2 sun visors a towel I had wraped around a hand air pump-7.25lb
BMR K-member - save29.5lbs
BMR front lower A-arms - save - 5.5lbs
Rear bumper support - 20.5 lbs
Rear spring seats - 2lbs
Cut off front bumper support brackets - 5.5lbs.
Cut out bracing from under front fenders- 8.5 lbs.....my friend didn`t cut out as much as I did and he saved about a pound more than I did?????? Weighed on same scale.
Rear seats and rear seat belts - 33lbs
Pin on hood ( no pins ) removed hood shocks, latch, hinges, and latch cable. saved - 44lbs
Removed stock carpet and cut out some of the rubber mat ( plastic ) where your feet are. Stock carpet was 38lbs, the mat was 4.25 lbs. Ozite carpet 4.5 lbs pluse glue - save 37 lbs. It looks damn good to
Headers were 24.5 lbs lighter than the stock manifolds and cats, but I know my X- pipe weighs more than the stock Y pipe. Not sure on the weight loss on the X- pipe. The stock Y pipe weighed 12.5 lbs. Thats it. You really gotta pop the hood off to see that I`ve taken alot of weight off. I was running the stock cat back with the dumped X-pipe for the ultimate sleeper look but that was 30 lbs just sitting there so it had to go. I plan on putting it back on for inspection so it looks like I have my exhaust running out the back of the car.

Al
Where is the bracing you are cutting out under the front fender?
Cut out bracing from under front fenders- 8.5 lbs
Bob
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Gas is what, 6-7lbs/gallon?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:47 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SlickVert
Al
Where is the bracing you are cutting out under the front fender?
Cut out bracing from under front fenders- 8.5 lbs
Bob
Bob if you take the fender off it is a long triangular tube looking piece of steel. It is smaller twards the front of the car and gets larger twards the rear of the car. I cut it out with a cut off wheel. I left about a 1/2 inch lip after it was all said and done.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:48 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZFan88
Gas is what, 6-7lbs/gallon?
6lbs.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:02 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_z
Anys pics of the brackets?
No pics. I used alluminum rectangular tubbing. It measured 3 1/4 inches by 2 1/2 inches and I had about 8 feet of it. I just cut 4 pieces for each seat. I bolted one on each corner of the seat and then to the body. Some of the bracketts I layed on the short side (2 1/2 inch side) and others on the tall side. ( 3 1/4 side) I had to add 3 washers under each side of the front two studs to get the drivers seat to lay back like I like it. I made a jig out of plywood that had four studs sticking out of it just like the mounting studs are on the body for the drivers seat. That way I got my drivers seat just how I like it. I just eyeballed the passanger side. It was luck that the tubbing I used was the right height. I got it from where I work. The alluminum tubbing is called a "logistic post" and is used in 18 wheelers to make the trailer kinda like a two story trailer. It`s just a beam that fits from left to right in the trailer and attaches to slots in the wall.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by al
So, do you mean that the QA1 shocks were a total of 7.5lbs lighter than the stock ones, but the QA1 springs were a total of 1lb heavier than the stock ones, resulting in a 6.5lb total savings?

I just ordered a set of QA1s and I've been curious what the weight difference would be. I won't get to install them until this spring, so this has been driving me crazy. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:40 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GC99TA
So, do you mean that the QA1 shocks were a total of 7.5lbs lighter than the stock ones, but the QA1 springs were a total of 1lb heavier than the stock ones, resulting in a 6.5lb total savings?

I just ordered a set of QA1s and I've been curious what the weight difference would be. I won't get to install them until this spring, so this has been driving me crazy. Thanks.
Both of the front QA1 shocks were 6.5 lbs. lighter than both the stock ones. And both the front QA1 275 springs were 1 lb. heavier than both the stock springs. So it would be 5.5 lb savings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing Seats (light weight seats)