Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission/Clutch Know-it-Alls. HELP! lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission/Clutch Know-it-Alls. HELP! lol

Hopefully someone can shed a little light on my situation, I'll do the best I can to describe all of my T/A's little ailments. The clutch is an oz700 textralia, about a year old now, only seen about 10 track passes if that over a years time. New hydraulics, including upgraded 01-02 master. So here it goes:

It's one of, or all of a few hiccups.

The clutch slave?, pressure plate bolts backing out, and/or my driveshaft beating up my muffler. The car randomly feels as if it slips, but not often. Yet when I had a mechanic in NJ take it for a spin he couldnt slip it intentionally... I have a difficult time getting it in gear once in a while, and other times its like butter. (Leading me to slave) The master is a brand new 01-02 part, so thats taken care of. I can HEAR the clutch knock when I press the pedal real fast after giving it a little gas, and it also makes some rattling noises once in a while while out of gear, the noise goes away when i press in the clutch. I'm not all too sure whats going on, but it drives strong, but not as strong as it should. And it seems to be a random thing, where it drives great one day and like *** the next. Also, my "tensioner" I believe it was called in my tranny is whining... I was told it would just make noise but not be a problem for a while. But a new noise is never a good thing. So maybe thats related? Help

Any other info you need that may help, just let me know.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

did you replace all your hydraulics?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, pretty sure the new slave came new with the TEX kit, and I recently replaced the master and did the drill mod.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Bump.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOIR
Bump.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

One last bump for help.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

I've heard of Syncros whining....but tensioner??? I'm not an expert on the T-56 but something internally isn't right...I've never heard of anything in a manual trans called a tensioner...I could be wrong Never cracked one open. Any metal in the oil???
Old 10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

I hear ya, Im having same problems, sometimes i push in the clutch and rev and it feels like the clutch is slipping even with the clutch in. My car shakes when at steady speed in 5th sometimes, and I hear that clunk every now and then when I push in the clutch fast. The car hates to shift at wot, it seems to block me out of the next gear for a couple seconds Do you have the heat shield for your hydrolic lines? I dont but wrapped mine in rubber fuel lines. My fluid turns black after few days, but not sure if thats my problem or if the tranny is dead? Any help greatly appreciated
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Launching!

The first suggestion for any clutch problem is bleed, bleed, bleed!! Give it a good bleeding with a mityvac for 15-20 mins and if that doesnt fix it then you have a more serious problem. I had to bleed mine probably 8 times as all the air worked its way out (my master completely drained when my tranny snapped the quick disconnect off the slave )
Old 10-17-2006, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Ya i guess ill try bleeding more. I used mity vac for at least 5 min. after drill mod and then a seperate time for couple mins. I think its getting too hot as well though might try and find a heat shield off a wrecked car if I can. Thanks, any other ideas this is driving me crazy.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Mine doesnt even have a heat shield, it just has the braided stainless line.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no such thing as a tensioner in the trans. There are two belt tensioners on the engine, one for the main serpentine and one for the A/C belt. Make sure the whine you're hearing is not coming from the rear end.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really sounds hydrolic related. May have done some damage to the syncro's being that you get locked out of gear sometimes. sounds like you have a few problems, one thing isnt causing all of it. good luck, sorry Im not much help
Old 10-18-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

ya i bled the system for good 10-15 min yesterday with mity vac. Its a little better at best. The synchros seem to be making more noise then before, so I think my tranny might be the problem, but then again my fluid is black? Tranny rebuild would help im sure, just not something I really wanna spend money on right now
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Well, I'm sure the fluid needs to be bled again, and I'm going to find a way to wrap that line again to protect it. But, the whine def sounds like its coming from the trans area, and its only when I get moving from a dead stop in first. The synchros are probably a little whacked, but after trying a WOT shift the other day, its def my hydraulics acting up. However, I dont know how just my hydraulics could cause that sound, and the light slipping.

I did the mityvac thing before with little results. I've got to get it bled the right way. And I probably have to have the trans dropped to check the clutch and see if a presure plate bolt is backing out. Ever since I put this new clutch in, its been one problem after another.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Honestly the mityvac is the right way. My master was completly emptied and the "right way" just plain wasnt working. 15 minutes of mity-vac and it was done and felt great. But then again I had to repeat the process about 5 times before it stopped feeling notchey every now and then when the air bubbles would get freed up. But about the other stuff I cant really speak for my tranny seems to be holding together quite well. Honestly if its whining I'd lean towards the rearend. But if you said that its coming from the tranny obviously you are there and know.

good luck!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks again, I'll give it another shot with the mityvac. And the whine could be from the rear, not impossible. Thanks again for the input. If I find anything out, I'll post it up.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

the rattling noise is probably an indication of a worn pilot bearing.

it's a little bearing in the back of the crankshaft where the pilot of the input shaft slides into...

but that will only fix the rattling youre describing when the pedal is out and tranny is out of gear.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Well that would make sense. Thanks. Beyond that, it would seem I just need to fix this clutch issue. I'll do a little searching about the pilot bearing.