Sponsored by:

Which oil pump spring do I use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which oil pump spring do I use?

Hey guys...

Working on swapping cams/springs/oil pump in my FRC today and have a question about the oil pump. I did some searching but couldn't find the answer.

Bought a GM high volume pump from Lingenfelter... it comes with two springs... one really stiff red one, and a softer whitish colored one. Which one do I want for (aside from cam and valvetrain) a stock LS1?

I called Lingenfelter but their "guy who would know" wasn't in, and won't be until monday. The guy that was there today only had this to say: "one of them is way too high, I know that, but I couldn't tell you which one".

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump-- still working on the car! Anyone use this pump?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your engine is stock or only mild mod's.. I would only suggest the softer one..
Old 10-08-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

It will have a XER comp cam and dual springs. It might see slightly higher rpm say 6500ish. I think we could use the softer one , but add a small shim. Why would they include the larger spring anyway? Bearing clearance is bearing clearance and it's the determining factor in the oiling system backpressure. I guess if you used larger racing clearance and heavy weight oil you might use the larger spring

I get 48psi at idle and 70+ at redline on my ported LS6 pump on my 383. It's got the stock spring with a shim and the bearing clearance is right in the middle to larger side of spec. (.0018" mains and .0022" rods).