Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Boost referenced FPR question...

Old 10-07-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost referenced FPR question...

How are yall setting your pressure at the regulator? I set mine with the vacuume line off and when Im crusing, Im only seeing about 42 PSI of FP (Im pulling about 22 in of vacuume).

Im wondering because I suffered vapor lock tonight on a cruise. The FP started bouncing around and then died. I sat on the side of the road for about 10 minues and then all was well again. I have the big external Magnaflow pump and it was so hot, I could barely touch it.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

I have the 4303 magnafuel with the nasty performance fuel system. I set mine to 59 psi and when I would get on it, It would reference to 72 psi. Drove mine around for about 1 hr and it was a little hot but not enuff to cause vapor lock or the pump not to push enuff fuel to support the load.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Country Boy
How are yall setting your pressure at the regulator? I set mine with the vacuume line off and when Im crusing, Im only seeing about 42 PSI of FP (Im pulling about 22 in of vacuume).

Im wondering because I suffered vapor lock tonight on a cruise. The FP started bouncing around and then died. I sat on the side of the road for about 10 minues and then all was well again. I have the big external Magnaflow pump and it was so hot, I could barely touch it.

This was debated when the MF pumps were released. You're lower pressure will generate less heat tan running it at a steady 58psi. The problem is the volume of fuel the MF pump cycles back to the tank......it's great for making power....but hot fuel is not so great...I would put a finned heat exchanger in the return line.....
Old 10-08-2006, 03:52 PM

I dont think the pump can heat up 15 gallons of fuel to the point of vapor lock. I had just filled the tank. The pump was screamin hot though.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Coal Mining Director

I dont think the pump can heat up 15 gallons of fuel to the point of vapor lock. I had just filled the tank. The pump was screamin hot though.

On an extended run it can if it moves a high GPH.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Coal Mining Director

A big enough pump will actaully make the fuel "boil" in the tank.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:48 PM

interesting... but the thing is too, after the 10 minute cool down, I drove it all the way home with NO problems. Not even a hicup... It only had the problem in stop and go driving.

Maybe wrapping the lines would help too. My bulkhead is right above the muffler, but I have the stock heat sheild with wrap on it already. I think I have some lines close to the exhaust Ill wrap too.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

You've got some line routing issues near a hot source, the pump isnt mounted correctly, you actually may have a pump that isnt getting enough voltage, a restriction somewhere, etc.

Give us a rundown of your fuel setup and how its mounted and routed...

As far as the setting with line off and then on vacuum, those are fine. With the vacuum line on its supposed to slow down the fuel pressure to help with the pumps life for one.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 PM

The -8 line follows the stock line, even behind the heat sheilds near the exhaust in the front. The pump is far from a heat source. Heres the thread with my pics: https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/556952-my-thuper-duper-fuel-system.html

The 2nd pic might be part of the problem, but I have the stock heat sheid cover in heat wrap.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

The -8 line follows the stock line, even behind the heat sheilds near the exhaust in the front. The pump is far from a heat source. Heres the thread with my pics: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556952

The 2nd pic might be part of the problem, but I have the stock heat sheid cover in heat wrap.
Relcoate the pump to behind the sump...Not only under accelaration does it have to pull the fuel, but its also fighting gravitational forces.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 PM

impossible. Itll get ripped off. Others mount them in the same general place and no problems.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

impossible. Itll get ripped off. Others mount them in the same general place and no problems.
not impossible...

You have plenty of room on the drivers frame rail behind the tire to mount that unit. I mounted an A1000 there. Closer to the sump is a DEFINITE problem whether you want to hear it from me or not. Its a bright idea to mount the pump within 24" of the sump/bulkhead...
Old 10-11-2006, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Part of the problem is the bulkhead you are going to cause cavitation with a pump of this volume pulling fuel through such a small area. That and what V6 said you are way too far from the tank. What size line are you feeding the pump with? Use as large as possible there too like -12

Nate
Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 AM

Im using all -8 line along with a -8 bulkhead. Ill ask again here too, how can you cavitate with a whole tank of gas? There has to be air present to cavitate.. If it cavitated, you would be able to hear it in the mupm and see it in the fuel pressure too, right, since theres no vent in the system, itd push the air through the whole system. Ive never seen a fluxuation in the FP, its always rock steady.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Im using all -8 line along with a -8 bulkhead. Ill ask again here too, how can you cavitate with a whole tank of gas? There has to be air present to cavitate.. If it cavitated, you would be able to hear it in the mupm and see it in the fuel pressure too, right, since theres no vent in the system, itd push the air through the whole system. Ive never seen a fluxuation in the FP, its always rock steady.

this is not true, by definition -

...This phenomenon is termed cavitation inception and may occur behind the blade of a rapidly rotating propellor or on any surface vibrating underwater with sufficient amplitude and acceleration.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

You've had two reputable (myself included) people tell you exactly what your problem is and you dont want to listen. Whats it take to get it through your head instead of arguing?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

You have a misconception of that word.

Bottom line is your pump is getting TOO hot from the duty its under where its located. A vent would also be a good idea. The idea to clear away issues is to have the least amount of restriction before the pump on external setups. Ideally, you'd like for it to be direclty behind the pump and the largest hole to draw fuel from like Nate said. Somethings I agree with him and some I dont, but this time I do.

Last edited by V6 Bird; 10-11-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
You've had two reputable (myself included) people tell you exactly what your problem is and you dont want to listen. Whats it take to get it through your head instead of arguing?

Its called asking questions and understanding. To me, youre just another screen name. I dont know you.

Now back to my thread
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its called asking questions and understanding. To me, youre just another screen name. I dont know you.

Now back to my thread
You dont have to know me as a person to know that what I state is credible. Just because you're a mod doesnt mean you know what you are doing on technical terms
Old 10-12-2006, 07:46 AM

me, know what Im doing? Nahg, never turned a wrench

Im going to move the pump to the frame rail like you said and plumb from the tank to the pump with #12 line instead of #8. This is going to be some more work

Search this Thread