General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is this the correct voltage reading?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this the correct voltage reading?

ok, so after i swapped out my battery for a new red top optima, the volt gauge still showed me that my voltage was around 8 or so. my accessories didnt work that well, drove it like that for around 20 miles before i noticed that a terminal on the back of the alt was a little loose.

my questions:

1 - After i tightened all the connections, im at around 11 (right AFTER the yellow area on my gauge), is this ok? my old battery gave around 13 or a little higher. all my accessories work just as they did before.

2 - Could running the car only on the alternator for a while be bad? i had to when my battery crapped out and i was 150 miles away from my house.

3 - when i blink my lights, the volt gauge pulses with the flasher - is this normal? i never really noticed it before, only when i hit the brakes that the lights dimmed out.

sorry for the long post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deff. doesnt sound right....that battery could have a bad cell....take it back and let them read it....check all of your connections also....including the charging sensor (little red/black) plug wire on alt...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all my problems are solved: changed the alternator