General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Skunk Smell in Cabin - WS6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Skunk Smell in Cabin - WS6

I took a 220 mile highway trip tonight with speeds around 78 to 85 mph. As I was driving I kept noticing a smell similar to a skunk. The smell would crop up especially when coming off of speed to slow down for an exit ramp.

I got out of the car and checked the exhaust and it doesn't have any abnormal smell to it, not even like rotten eggs. I also checked the engine compartment and nothing smells abnormal in there either. The pulleys are running smooth too.

-The smell is not coming from the HVAC vents.
-Engine smells fine
-Exhaust out the pipes smells fine (Exhaust is OEM original with 32k miles).

Could the smell be from the clutch? Does clutch smell like a skunk?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Veteran

coolant maybe. just when youre decelerating.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe you hit a skunk
Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Sorry I didn't specify that I already checked to make sure that I didn't hit any animals. There is absolutely no smell outside of the car, only in the cabin.

So, could it be the clutch perhaps?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Are you riding the clutch when slowing down? Downshifting at all? I don't personally think a clutch smells like a skunk. If you've ever smelled a burned clutch, you'll remember it. It kind of smells like something burning, like if you've ever really hit the brakes hard with windows open, you can smell the brakes? That's closest to what I think the clutch would smell like. A worn clutch would slip/burn on acceleration, not really decel.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

have you had a bath lately
Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
Are you riding the clutch when slowing down? Downshifting at all? I don't personally think a clutch smells like a skunk. If you've ever smelled a burned clutch, you'll remember it. It kind of smells like something burning, like if you've ever really hit the brakes hard with windows open, you can smell the brakes? That's closest to what I think the clutch would smell like. A worn clutch would slip/burn on acceleration, not really decel.
I don't know why I didn't think about it last night, but I was driving through Ann Arbor through the football game traffic jam and I did have a period of stop and go traffic on the highway. Of course this mean I had to ride the clutch for some time. When the traffic broke free, I throttled back up to speed and a short while later I had to take an exit ramp to change highways. I remember slowing down for the ramp to about 40 mph and that's the exact moment when the smell really came on strong. I hadn't downshifted or clutched at that point...I was still rolling in 6th getting ready to down shift for the ramp. Could the clutch have really gotten hot in the traffic jam and the smell finally permeated the cabin at this time?

Also, I tested the clutch today for slippage and it appears to be fine. 40 mph, drop to 6th and rpms remain steady. Parking brake, try to take off in 4th and it shuts off.

have you had a bath lately
no, that must be it...

Last edited by Rybo Flavin; 10-08-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think going to 6th at 40 would make the clutch slip....neither would 4th with the brake on. When a clutch slips, its usually at lower rpms, with more torque applied then horsepower. A slipping clutch would slip when you're taking off from a stop, in 1st, and probably also the first 1000rpms of 2nd when you upshift. Now if you tried to take off in 1st with the brake, and you saw the RPMs go up without the car lurching, THAT would indicate a burned clutch, but not in 4th. And yes, in heavy stop and go traffic, a clutch could heat up so much that you could smell it. Might not mean it's totally wasted. Take it for a ride again, start/stop, long drives, everything, see if you smell anything.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Put your battery on a charger and see if it smells just ran into this at my shop
Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's that old story of the putting a dead (insert animal here) under the driver's seat. It's the last place someone looks.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Its probably your Catalatic converters. they have sulfur inside of them. that is what that smell is.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a strange smell like yours that happened after I had tires put on the car. Ended up being a small leak in the differential cover blowing back on the muffler when driving. The tire shop couldn't get my car on their lift so they used jacks and had bent the cover slightly.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had your EXACT same problem. i flushed my coolant and the smell went away completely. i bet your antifreeze is old. when it gets old it turns to vinegar almost - smells like a skunk. when i smelled the tub of drained coolant i almost vomitted. i haven't smelled the smell since. i used to get it daily, mind you.

of course, now, my water pump is leaking. guess that old coolant was holding some stuff together i keep putting off ordering a new pump...

to find if it's your coolant, just pull the radiator dipstick and smell it. you'll know right away if that's your problem.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Could it be some dank bud you left in the car?lol
Old 10-11-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
Could it be some dank bud you left in the car?lol
LOL he's probably so high he forgot

Quick Reply: Skunk Smell in Cabin - WS6