Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-56 with a 4x4 transfer case ?s.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default T-56 with a 4x4 transfer case ?s.

I've heard someone has done it, does anyone have a contact name, any pics, any info.?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanted to do this for an s10 project awhile back, basically theres only one and it was a very expensive custom fabbed deal. it would be a VERY expensive deal...search on s-seriesforum dot com. theres a really good older thread about it...

-cam
Old 10-09-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

There's 2 guys I know of.

1.) Mark Stilow, who built Summit Racings' Quadra-Deuce back in the mid 90's. Don't have any contact info. Summit had the car rebuilt by Rad Rides by Troy, and at that point they replaced the T56 with a 700R4.

2.) There's a guy who did a custom T56 conversion on a Syclone. Current owner had the truck apart and snapped a bunch of pictures. Search over on SyTy.net for T-56 (that's the current owner's username). Guy who built the conversion built a custom bellhousing and custom tailshaft to try to put the tcase in the stock location.

Both of those builders spent a fair bit of time welding and machining the tailshaft housing.

You really only have 2 choices if you're serious about this:
1.) Modify a tailshaft housing to mount the tcase. There are several tailshaft housings available, I think the Mustang or Viper one might put the shifter far enough forward for this to be reasonably easy. But there will still be a bunch of welding and machining to do. BTW, you'll want to use a brand new never used housing. Alum is a bit porous and is likely to soak up gear lube, making it tough to weld. Do yourself a favor and just buy a new one to modify.

2.) Other choice would be to make a tailshaft housing from billet. You'd eliminate the welding fun, but that'd be a huge chunk of alum, and ALOT of machining, with most of it being close tolerance stuff. I think this is probably the more expensive option.

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-09-2006, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Third option would be to run a divorced transfer case, if you have enough wheelbase...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Yup, that'd be the 3rd option (forgot about it). Not a real choice for things like CJ7's and such. But could be made to work in a S10 pickup, especially a extended cab longbed.

'JustDreamin'