Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple "finished" pics, Lots of pics... vids soon to come!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A couple "finished" pics, Lots of pics... vids soon to come!

Hey everyone! I want to thank you all for the help Ive gotten on this board while doing my swap. I definetly wouldnt have gotten it done in the short time frame that I did without this board. Thanks!!

Anyway Ive been driving her for several days now. I still have a couple bugs to work out. Like getting the exhaust finished up alittle better. It shifted on me and is now hitting something when I hit bumps.

I gave her a bath and snapped some pics yesterday since it was nice. The interior is pretty much 100% done for now. Everything is together. Then only things left to do is hook up a few little odds and ends int he engine bay. The bay is alittle dirty and messy right now. I need to spend some time cleaning it up and tucking some more wires. Im debating on getting coil covers to help hide the ugly stuff.

I will take some vids/sound clips from the inside/outside soon. I gotta get alittle better at driving her first!! The car is a beast. Enough to keep me on my toes for a bit. And the magnaflow exhaust makes it sound just plain mean. Ok...on to some pics. Let me know what you think!!!

And for those of you who dont have a fancy garage... or expensive tools... or a ton of experience...This picture is for you. This was my workspace. everything was done right where the car is sitting now. I have a garage, but its small, and with all the parts and crap in there, you can barely walk around let alone work on anything. So maybe this can be some inspiration!!!

Justin
Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Looks good. Have fun.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job on the install. It looks very clean. Where did you get your intake elbow from?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the compliments guys! The car is a blast so far! It saw "driving to work" duty for the first time today. I stalled once pulling from a stop sign... but I wasnt paying attention so it was my dumb fault.

The intake elbow as well as the other intake parts, except for the filter, came from http://intakehoses.com/.

Justin
Old 10-09-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

awesome man it looks very professional and clean, how's it drive?!?! p/s and a/c too? how freakin' comfy! nice!

you will see even more power if you run more tube and bends to get the filter out of the engine bay, using aluminum tube is a big plus too. I had a setup like yours then went to aluminum CAI piping and more bends to move the filter right behind an openin g in my rx7 bumper and it made a big difference.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice....that should suprise a few people.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys! Maybe I should re-cap on what the car USED to be. It used to be a 305 TPI auto car. Sucked. Big time. haha. The drivetrain was showing its age and to go through the whole car to fix everythign and to clean it up would have been tough.

Yup...p/s and 4th gen A/C setup. I havent had the a/c filled yet...but I expect it to work just as it did when I pulled it from the camaro. We shall see. The intake is temporary. I have plans to route it over top of the fuse boxes and down into the area that used to be below the battery tray. The way I have things mounted now it wont work...so its a future project. It seems to work well the way it is, and gets some cool air from the gap next to the radiator. Plus it makes a crazy sound when you go WOT...until you go deaf from the magnaflow! haha.

Schitzo: Exactly my plan "Oh...look at that old firebird. Ill bet we can smoke him!"

The car gets amazingly good traction. I can smoke em up in 1st if Im on it hard, but it gets grip as soon as I hit second. I even had to drive it in the rain alittle on the way tot he alignment shop. It wasnt as easy to spin as I thought. Still very easy...but not dangerous.

I think its right on the verge of not having traction because i hit 2nd hard while my right side tire was in that tar and chip crap they do the sides of the road with...and it was all over the place. I have KDWS tires on it now...if they keep doing this good Ill get them again.

I will say...if I drive the car normally...take off smooth, shift early, it is very docile. Cruising at 70mph at 1800rpms is nice too. Quiet, smooth, everything I hoped it to be. But downshift to 4th and WOT... its a whole nother story.

Justin
Old 10-09-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice, I can't wait till I get some extra funds for a third gen LS1 swap. BTW @ 70 mph try downshifting to 3rd instead.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good bud....can't wait until I can drive mine too!
Old 10-09-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey way to go man, I know you are walking around with a silly grin on your face. And great job doing the work in "primitive" conditions. Shows you can do it if you want to.

Pat
Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
And for those of you who dont have a fancy garage... or expensive tools... or a ton of experience...This picture is for you. This was my workspace. everything was done right where the car is sitting now. I have a garage, but its small, and with all the parts and crap in there, you can barely walk around let alone work on anything. So maybe this can be some inspiration!!!
Justin

Most definitely

LS1 was my first swap,with just about everything done in my small garage with some basic tools and some borrowed tools.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
9 Second Club

nice job man. and yes, if you've got 3.73's or lower numerically, drop it into 3rd @ 70 and THEN see how it pulls!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice work! I love 3rd gen Firebirds/TAs/GTAs/Formulas, especially black (I like the looks better than my 4th gen camaro I'm sad 2 say)! I also love LS1s! You have a nice combo there!

One tiny suggestion though. I would get a short shifter (like the $20 ones on Ebay). If you have a factory shift handle there is a soft rubber bushing. That gets eliminated and the feel is much better. The other thing is it is physically shorter. I love your car, but the shift handle looks wierd (high). Definately keep the cool white **** though! Just my 2 cents.

Did I mention I love it!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Justin,
Nice job. The car looks really good as well. When are you coming down to Philly and give me a ride? lol. Yeah I could use some motivations.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Teching In

That car is friggin awesome. I love that car. Yep, love it to death.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha thanks for the feedback guys!!! Im having so much fun with the car. I learned today that the MAF may not be working though. Its either not working, or its doing something crazy and the computer is ignoring it. So...I might not even be getting all of what the car can dish out...

I definetly have more than a silly grin on my face. In fact...I also usually get out of it with shaky hands. haha. That will go away soon enough, but its such an adrenaline rush just to drive it down the road. Im too scared to drop it into 3rd at 70mph though.. haha. I want to see what something like that feels like, but I also want to be nice to the car atleast alittle bit. Plus Im not that good at shifting yet...my luck Ide snag 1st or something horrible. haha.

subtlez28: That is actually a B&M Ripper. came with the car. My girlfriend ordered me a Pro 5.0 for my b-day which is coming up in just a few days. So that B&M is going bye byes. It shifts nice, but I think its lost its precision. Also...that is a thirdgen car with a 4th gen console. So it sits alittle different in my car (in relation to the shifter hole) than it would in a 4th gen. Plus I have a small 1/8" spacer under my trans to give me some more breathing room at the oil pan. When I get the pro 5.0 Im going to cut it as short as I can and yes Im keeping that white ball. I LOVE THAT THING!!!

LS1Cobra: Its making its first trip into philly in a couple weeks. Ill be sure to let you know one of the times Im down there. Ill take you for a spin.

Thanks again for the compliments!!!!

Justin
Old 10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Launching!

sweet..i'e got a 98 trans am parts car and a 91 formula i just bought i planned to stuff the ls1/t56 into..
more motivation! great job man
Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

what was wrong with the donor car.. it looks like it was fine..
Old 10-10-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Passenger side of the car and the front for all intents and purposes was perfect. Prev. owner had an unfortunate encounter with a light pole and it made a light pole sized crunch in the driver's side. Right behind the door. Car had a cage and subframe connectors...so the damage pretty much stopped at them. But...it krinkled the floor all over the place, both rear quarters were all out of whack...and the body was generally twisted. Definetly not a fixer upper...

Its soul will live on though...haha. Body parts went to good homes. I pretty much have everything that was good off of it and most of it sold. The rest will be taken away soon.

Justin

Quick Reply: A couple "finished" pics, Lots of pics... vids soon to come!