Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do spec clutches feel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do spec clutches feel?

Well, its about time to replace the stock clutch in my 02 SS. I put my heads n cam in a few months back, as well as all the bolt-ons, so I figured Id go ahead and spring for a stronger clutch. Spec seems to be a well-liked brand to go with. I hear good results about the LS7/LS2 combo, cuz its strong but still has a stock feel to it, but Id like do this right the first time, so I wanna make sure whatever I get can handle the power Im putting down, w/o changing the feel too much. How is the feel say on a spec stage 3 clutch? How is it different from the stock feel? (stiffer? less give??)
Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Spec clutches are pos. I've read about more Spec's either blowing up or crapping out than any other over the years. I'd go Mcleod.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

ok, well how is the feel of any aftermarket heavy duty clutch compared to stock??
Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got 40,000 miles out of my Spec 2, stock feel. I've got a Spec 5 now, slightly stiffer than OEM. Part of the problem with Spec is that they sell a lot of clutches, probably more than all the others combined. Consequently you hear more complaints.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

So what would u recommend for a car with my mods? I dont drag it, but I do drive it pretty hard on the street. I wont know til next weekend, but I would guess Im putting down over 400 rwhp...maybe around 415-420 rwhp. Anyway, Id like to hear some feedback and suggestions for my street setup. Like I said, I wont be drag racing much at all, but I do like to dump the clutch at a light from time to time. Anyway, gimme whatcha got and thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with the Spec 3+. Very light pedal, but holds almost as well as a Spec 5. Excellent drivability. Do a search and visit Spec's site it wiil give you the details. Unique full contact disk.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

cool...anyone else wanna comment?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Raise
cool...anyone else wanna comment?
By all means...
The question here should be "how will my car feel after my spec clutch blows up?"
Do me a favor, that is if you like your feet still attached to your legs, and search the Corvette section for a thread titled 'expolded my spec pressure plate...' by V-series Tech. Look long and hard at those pictures, and realize that if not for the unique frame structure of the vettes, my boy would have at least one less foot. That is just 1 well documented case, we have another good friend whose brand new C6 got nearly totaled by the same POS spec setup.
If this does not sway you from using this product, do ME a favor and get a good blow-proof belhousing to contain that live grenade when it goes off!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Never seen or heard anything about what 99 said, might be something to look into.... With that said, I have a spec 3i and feels just like stock. I don't dragrace my junk either and am putting down 550+ to the wheels (stock 275 lol). It works for me on the street but I have no experience on the strip....
Old 10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

i love my spec 3...especially after pulling my trans 4 times and having it rebuilt all this year because of my center force dual friction clutch...it chatters a bit every once in awhile (its not the 3+) but i DD it and it doesnt bother me

from what ive seen/been explained the specs will hold up as long as it is all installed correctly. ive personally seen two go, not as bad as the vette posted about , but both were incorrectly installed and had hydraulics issues and that was the way the situation was explained to me when i was concerned about putting the spec in mine after the CF.

-cam
Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Ive decided to go with the LS7 clutch since Im not plannin on being too hard on it. Thanks for the help fellas