Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car in storage question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car in storage question

im deployed right now, and will be for the next 3months or so, cars in storage w/ pos battery terminal disconnected. Will i have any problems with her from sitting so long with out it ever being started? will the engine sieze or any thing like that?
the car hasnt been started since september 5th, and wont be started till i get home in some time in january. FYI
i know i might get flat spots on tires but i can always get new tires
Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am ex-military, so I know all about having to store cars for extended periods. There are stickies on this topic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/416584-things-do-before-storing-your-vehicle.html

I would say that the sticky suggests doing a bit more to store a car than I do, but the info is still accurate. You can not be wrong if you do all of the things in the sticky, so do as much as your money, time, and resources allow you to do. I don't think your engine will be siezed or anything like that when you get home. When you get back, check all of the fluids, clean the battery terminals and reconnect the battery and see if she will fire. Also, look for critters that may now be making a new home under the hood of your car or underneath it. You may need a new battery, but still no big deal. Inspect your tires for cracks or anything obvious and air them up to the proper pressure. I would then check all of the guages and lights to make sure everything still works, and pump the brake pedal a few times to engage the pads. Then, take her for a drive on a back road and clean off the rotors with some light breaking. Next, I would top off the gas and get the oil changed.

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnnyC; 10-09-2006 at 01:02 PM.