General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight problem - NOT grinding gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problem - NOT grinding gears

So, I turn my headlight on the other night and WHAM! It hooks on the hood, leaving a nice scratch all along the hood. Haven't had a chance to pull it all apart, but was hoping someone might know off hand what the hell is going on? The backside of the headlight seems to sit about 1/4" above the hood now.

UPDATE: Found the part that broke. It's the "carriage" for the headlights. However, those schmucks want me to replace the ENTIRE assembly including the cover. $459.00!!!!!

Anyone with a wrecked LS1 T/A that wants to sell that part? Need the passenger side.

Last edited by ChicagoTransAm; 10-09-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look on ebay. I've seen whole assemblies minus the motor go for less than a third of that price.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:07 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah.. tried Ebay... unfortunatly all they have on there are LH assemblies... go figure
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey what do you mean by "carriage". I'm having a similar problem where the headlight only comes partially up and gets stuck on the hood. My headlight is losing paint and I looked under the hood and saw that it may be the rubber stopper thingy which holds the hood up when closed. So how do you fix your issue?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Hey what do you mean by "carriage". I'm having a similar problem where the headlight only comes partially up and gets stuck on the hood. My headlight is losing paint and I looked under the hood and saw that it may be the rubber stopper thingy which holds the hood up when closed. So how do you fix your issue?
It's not the bumpers.. Once you get the headlight assembly apart, you'll see the broken part. It's the piece that holds that actual buckets (that the lamps sit in) ... The holes have most likely been torn ...
Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does any significant damage to the headlight motor occur when it gets caught on the hood? I mean just a few times and not using the headlights with one getting hooked over a long period of time.