Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Info

ok im thinking of putting my old t56 in a rat rod project i have in mind but the thing that im worried about are the solenoids inside. would i have to someway connect them and make them work or are there ways to get around them and still get 5th and reverse to work properly. thanks for the help
oh and the tranny needs to get rebuilt
Old 10-10-2006, 07:30 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TTT for ya. Good Question.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how safe you want to be. I'm assuming you're worried about the reverse lock out solenoid. All you'd really need to be able to do is provide the proper input to the solenoid (I think it's 12v, but it might be ground... anyone?) when you wanted it to allow you to engage reverse. Obviously the PCM normally does this when the speed is below a threshold value. (5 mph I believe) In your application you could just rig up a relay and a safety switch without getting too complicated. This would be similar to how some cars require you to pull up on a release to engage reverse. If you didn't want to mess with the electrical portion you could reproduce the same result mechanically in the shifter mechanism and remove the solenoid all together. Of course if you're confident in your shifting you could just remove the solenoid and not worry about any type of reverse safety mechanism.

Obviously you'd have to install a plug to replace any removed solenoids. The skip shift solenoid could just be left installed and disconnected with no ill effects.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Teching In

cool thanks
how can i find out the voltage nessesary to power the solenoid?
and is the solenoid all way hot when in foward motion then shuts off when below the specified mph range?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The solenoid requires a min. of 9 volts. You have the system backwards the load is present with the power off. You release the load with power. A momentary switch that you activate for times when reverse is desired is all you ned for controls. I have set up units with a big momentary push button that one activates with the left hand( thumb), leaving the right hand free to do the reverse shift .
Old 10-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Teching In

thanks for the help you guys