Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pressure regulator

I know the VATS cuts fuel but, how? Does it shut the injectors of or does it drop the pressure by opening the fpr? A friends 2002 SS doesn´t start but when he blocked the return w/ his finger I could start the car, so the fpr is not holding pressure but the question is why. Is it because of a malfunction or VATS?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

that would be a neat trick as the fpr is in the fuel tank.I don't know what you put your finger over.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

Well there is a T fittings downstreem the fuel filter and you can disconnect the return line and put your finger over the hole. However you risk spraying yourself with fuel. Anyhow we found the problem, we took the tank down and the fuel pump was broken and was failing to supply enough for the fpr to maintane pressure.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Banned

ahh ok...makes sense now.I thought you were working at the fuel rail.By the way if vats is stopping it from starting you would have a no crank condition because it disables the starting relay AND doesn't send the square wave form to the pcm to enable the fuel injectors.Normally to test the fuel system you would use a fuel pressure gauge at the rail.You guyz used the backyard finger method.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

We knew there was not enough fuel pressure at the rail, but didn't know if it was due to VATS, fuel pump or fpr.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

vats doesn't affect fuel pressure,it disables the injectors by not enabling the pcm fuel