Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rebuild Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Rebuild Q's

So I am fallin outta Reverse, and 5th is non-op, so I bought the rebuild kit from gearbox.org, and plan on tearing into this, and replacing all the basics, and going from there... Has anyone ever done this, and if so, what is there to look forward too, and what normal tricks, can help you save alittle time, and money... I got the book with all the info, so I should be good... but any extra help would be great.... This all goes down this weekend....
Old 10-11-2006, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=1877

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=192455

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=452589

http://www.noid.org/~lj/T56/T56.htm
Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

A couple of tools I've learned to have readily available:
Long Pullers (12" at least)
2" thick walled pipe for hammering the 5-6 gear back into place(unless you have the proper tool)
Needle Nose Snap ring plyers
Flat nosed Snap ring plyers
1/8" punch
Various Wrenches/Sockets/drivers
TOUGH Torx heads sockets(Impact is best)
T56 Rebuild Manual

The way I do it, is every piece I take off, I place either on the bench in a neat fashion or I place on a standing rod in order of removal. Then simply reverse assemble.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A press Is pretty much maditory if you don't plan on beating things into place with a big hammer.
If your lucky the 5-6 driven gear will just slide off. If not you will need a special puller to get that bastard off.
A good Blow up view of where everything goes is a must unless you done a bunch of them. even then is comes in handy from time to time.
Use a Torch on the two Torx head bolts to break the thread locker that is on them. Otherwise you will just Break Tools and possibly strip out the heads of the pins.
Going together you need to remember to only hand tighten the front Bolts on the tranny then the rears
Torque the front bolts first.
When puttin the tail housing on , DONT force it. Rotate the Shaft to mesh the reverse gear then with a screw driver manuver the reverse/5-6 shift rod into place.
Oh yea.
You WILL need more parts than just the rebuild kit.
Of all the ones I have rebuilt, I never just put in a rebuild kit.
A gear or Sychro assembly is always fucked up.
Good luck.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bugsquawsher
A press Is pretty much maditory if you don't plan on beating things into place with a big hammer.
Very true, Except I haven't found a way to get the whole transmission on the press to press 5-6 on yet.
If your lucky the 5-6 driven gear will just slide off. If not you will need a special puller to get that bastard off.
My experience has been that only LT1's 5-6 slides off with ease, every LS1 I've seen has to be pulled. Granted my sample rate is much smaller (2xLT1's, and 3 LS1's.)
A good Blow up view of where everything goes is a must unless you done a bunch of them. even then is comes in handy from time to time.
Use a Torch on the two Torx head bolts to break the thread locker that is on them. Otherwise you will just Break Tools and possibly strip out the heads of the pins.
The only other way I've found to do it, is to put the Torx bit on a breaker bar, and put tension on the bolt, then smack the end with a hammer to break the thread lock. Torch is best, but if you don't have one...[/quote]
Going together you need to remember to only hand tighten the front Bolts on the tranny then the rears
Torque the front bolts first.
When puttin the tail housing on , DONT force it. Rotate the Shaft to mesh the reverse gear then with a screw driver manuver the reverse/5-6 shift rod into place.
Oh yea.
You WILL need more parts than just the rebuild kit.
Of all the ones I have rebuilt, I never just put in a rebuild kit.
A gear or Sychro assembly is always fucked up.
Good luck.
Very good advice! I might have to print a large copy of the assembly
Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

I have run into more 5-6's that slide off that Not. Lt1 or LS1
But I ran into enough of the stuck ones to make me build a puller at work and take it home.
It looks like a Big U
It Fits between the Two Gears and has 3/8" all thread about 18 inches long and uses a regular Bearing puller for the work end of the whole tool.
The U shaped part is made from 1" thick steel.
Now if this thing is stuck you have to pull the Snap ring off the 5-6 shift fork and pull the secondary shaft out pulling the 5-6 sychro assembly apart. Thats ok , you can reasemble it later. Then you can reach down there and get the 6th gear out of the way to work on the Driven gear.
Yea I got a little experience, I think I have rebuild most T56s in The Austin area LOL
Old 10-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

do you have any pics of the custom puller ? doing mine right now and 5/6 driven gear is stuck
Old 10-12-2006, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

I'll post some pictures and dimensions of mine when I get home. But supposedly the easiest way to maky one it buy a cheap 8" puller, one that the arms bolt together. Unbolt them and put in a longer piece of metal 10"-12" long and about 1/8" thick steel. I have one of each. My other puller is two 1/2" plates one with a 2" u-shaped gap in it (to slide under the top gear) and both with drilled and tapped holes for 2 pieces of 18" allthread. Sounds complicated, but I'll post some pictures tonight.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:00 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jd783
do you have any pics of the custom puller ? doing mine right now and 5/6 driven gear is stuck
I use the Kent Moore J-39431. It runs around 80 bucks, and is made specifically to pull this gear off.
Judging from your descpition of the tranny problems you are having, I would recommend replacing the 5-6 and Reverse slider/hub assemblies. If you don't, the excessive play between the gears will break the keys and cause it to keep jumping out of gear.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jd783

Heres the one I made.
Attached Thumbnails T56 Rebuild Q's-puller.jpg  
Old 10-15-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Popular Hot Rodding had a good T-56 rebuild article a while back. The T-56 is a pretty simple design. One thing the article did stress, was that once everything on the outside of the tranny was removed, and the "innards" were ready to be exposed, about the only way to do it, was with the transmission in a vertical orientation. Something as simple as a hole drilled through your workbench to allow the input shaft to slide through it, will do. The transmission housing is then lifted off vertically. Reassembly requires the same vertical orientation in order to hold all the parts in their proper location.

Don't shoot the messenger....that's what the article said. Personally, unless someone with lots of experience were looking over my shoulder, I wouldn't even attempt it.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the pic looks easyenough to make
Old 10-15-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
Popular Hot Rodding had a good T-56 rebuild article a while back. The T-56 is a pretty simple design. One thing the article did stress, was that once everything on the outside of the tranny was removed, and the "innards" were ready to be exposed, about the only way to do it, was with the transmission in a vertical orientation. Something as simple as a hole drilled through your workbench to allow the input shaft to slide through it, will do. The transmission housing is then lifted off vertically. Reassembly requires the same vertical orientation in order to hold all the parts in their proper location.

Don't shoot the messenger....that's what the article said. Personally, unless someone with lots of experience were looking over my shoulder, I wouldn't even attempt it.

This is Very True.
I use one of them Craftsman Workmates.
Works Great
Old 10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An empty 5 gallon paint bucket is all anyone needs to do the build up. Save $$$$ for other mods. What are you gonna do with a hole in your bench after that ?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by calhoon
What are you gonna do with a hole in your bench after that ?
I didn't say to put a hole in your bench. The magazine article suggested it as one way of keeping the tranny in a vertical orientation.

Not that I'll ever attempt a tranny rebuild by myself, but a hole in my work bench would hardly be noticeable...it's 9' long. I don't have a bathroom in my shop, but I do have several, empty, plastic 5-gallon buckets....hmmm....if I put a bucket under the hole, stood on the bench,....nah, I'll just run in the house...unless it's dark outside....there's a convenient tree right next to my shop.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

i just used 2 c clamps on either side of the front cover and let the shaft hang over the edge worked perfect
Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

3 jackstands work great too. When re-assembling it, you will need access to the 11 bolts on the bottom

Quick Reply: T56 Rebuild Q's