New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driving in the rain or cold weather

Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving in the rain or cold weather

hi i'm new to this and i was wondering if its okay to drive my 98 trans am in the rain or cold weather. i also park her on the street and its starting to get real cold here. thanks guys and ladies.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Cold in Southern CA???

Cold is no problem unless you are from real northern states or Canada. Rain is the scary part. The rear wheels break loose real easy with all that power. I had Potenzas on my LT1 Formula and they were excellent. No complaints with the Goodyear (GS-C or now the GS-D3) on my LS1 T/A. Hydroplaning is a distinct possibility, as in any car for that matter. Just use your head in the rain. Too many accidents if you have been reading all these threads. Don't be cheap with tires, the best investment you will put on your car. We pay tons for insurance. Don't short yourself out for safety. You deserve quality.

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-11-2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: skipped word
Old 10-11-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

gotcha. what about rust? wont you get rust from driving in the rain? i'm in iowa right now and my cars on the street and its like 30 degrees with some rain.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Didn't know you were in Iowa. Yeah that can be rough on the car sitting outside all winter. Obviously you can't put it in a garage or you wouldn't ask. Just keep it CLEAN and flush underneath to get all the salts, crud off as much as possible. You are going to have your hands full in the dead of winter. No easy way out of this situation.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Cold is no problem unless you are from real northern states or Canada. Rain is the scary part. The rear wheels break loose real easy with all that power. I had Potenzas on my LT1 Formula and they were excellent. No complaints with the Goodyear (GS-C or now the GS-D3) on my LS1 T/A. Hydroplaning is a distinct possibility, as in any car for that matter. Just use your head in the rain. Too many accidents if you have been reading all these threads. Don't be cheap with tires, the best investment you will put on your car. We pay tons for insurance. Don't short yourself out for safety. You deserve quality.
I couldn't have said it better! I laugh when I see guys buy performance cars, dump a bunch of money to make more power but then get cheap *** tires. I just dont understand it. I used both the GSC and GSD3 tires even on my V6 Camaro. (My IROC had GSC-S, remember those?)

Rust isn't an issue unless you will be living in an area where it will snow.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

If you want to clean off the underside, put out an oscillating sprinkler in the driveway, and drive the car over it while it's on, that should be enough to wash the underside (used that on my old IROC, no rust at all under the car, and that was nearly 10 yrs in Mass, where they put a **** load of salt on the road every winter)
Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drive mine year round through pa winters. Not to bad, but by far..not the best car. Just be sensible...going wot in the rain..not smart, but under normal driving its just like any other car.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

I drive my 2001 Formula all year 'round. In the winter I use Blizzak WS-50 tires on cheap steel wheels. For the rest of the year I have Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 tires. I have no problem driving the car in rain or snow. Although it was interesting when I had to dig out my car and openeing the door pushed away the show (it was higher than the door sill where it was parked but the roads weren't as bad).

Last edited by VIP1; 10-11-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

haha VIP1 "higher than the door sill" sorry i found it funny but i lived in north dakota for 9 years and one year it snowed so much along with the wind and the snow drifting there was a garage that u could walk onto because of the snow being that high. those were the good ol days
Old 10-14-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickand98redta
hi i'm new to this and i was wondering if its okay to drive my 98 trans am in the rain or cold weather. i also park her on the street and its starting to get real cold here. thanks guys and ladies.
Hi Newbie
No, it's actually against the "Man law" to drive your TA in rain or cold weather. She must not be left on the street either.
Thank you
Ken
Old 10-14-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you drive it in rain, get all-season or wet traction tires. In snow, these cars are pretty much no-go. You will be slipping and sliding going as slow as 15mph, depending on conditions.

Hope you have TCS and ABS! Stay safe.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Just be careful in the high water areas. I went threw a puddle one time thinking it was a puddle and hydrolocked my engine. Most of the water got in threw the FRA mod I had cutout.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Eh...I drive my car year round in snow and rain and don't have a garage either. Just be smart about it. My car actually doesn't do too bad in the rain and snow. Just make sure you have the right tires for it. It makes a HUGE difference. Might be a little easier for me since I have two sets of rims.

Just take the time to clean underneath the car to prevent rust. I get mild rust in some areas but its really not that bad. I try to clean it when I'm doing an oil change, changing the fuel filter, etc.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Personally, i'm the snow when i did take my SS out, i would have to turn traction control off. it would become more of a nuisance than a help. i also have an M6 and i think thats a bit easier in the snow than an auto, especially with a bunch of mods.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

I get really tired of questions like these.
No, your car is not going to melt if rain gets on it.
No, your car is not going to freeze solid and crack if it gets too cold outside.

I have over 190,000 miles on my 98... it gets driven in the heat, in the cold, in the rain, and unfortunately sometimes in the ice and snow.
As others have said, be smart- use good tires, no WOT in wet patches, and avoid snow and ice.
Please, just drive your car.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just drive it like your life depends on it and you will do fine My wife drove a 2002 transam every day on interstate in snow and rain, and lets just say she isn't the best driver Enjoy your car and just drive smart in the rain and snow.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

I've driven my old camaro in an ice storm before and it did fine. Even on a solid sheet of ice it had just as much traction as any other car. They will go just fine in snow as long as you keep them dry under the hood. LS1 and especially lt1s do not like water. Also realize that your car being as low as it is will get dirty and get wet twice as fast so wash it often to avoid rust and take a lok at the engine and intake everyday if its been wet out to make sure your engine didn't inhale any water. Ig you have wide tires ditch those for some steel wheels with narrow snow tires. Narrow tires will go much better in snow.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Just don't drive it in warm rain because it may shrink on you.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With great tires you will be fine in the wet. With drag radials it will be hydroplaneville.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Have the car undercoated do stop the salt from getting at the metal.

I'm planning on getting some cheap-o rims/wheels and some argressive winter treads to keep me on the road.

Also tossing a bag of sand in the trunk/hatch will help big time with traction when its slick out. Maybe two if its winter.

Search this Thread