Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can you put your shifter in backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you put your shifter in backwards?

I just installed my clutch and its a bitch to get into reverse but i think i might have installed my shifter in backwards because i have to push it hard to the right and into reverse like realy push it hard. it doesnt make a grinding noise or ne thing goes in and stays untill i pull it out. At first i thought it was because my clutch is new but now i noitce my shifter is farther back than it was before it seems to shift into the other gears fine like this though? so im not sure.

i just want to no if it is physically possible to put the shifter in backwards cause if it is i most likly did. thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is physically impossible to install it backwards simply due to the offset of the shifter cup.

That sounds like a reverse lockout solenoid issue to me.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can but it would most likely leak and not seal .Also the stick would interfere with the console. You prolly plugged the solenoids in incorrectly. The reverse solenoid has a black plug and the skip shift has a white plug. They will allow you to mis-connect them.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool thanks alot and sorry about all the stuff with the bell housing my brother purchased one for me since he messed up the money and knew i was on a time crunch. Ill definilty check those things out.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its good it worked out for you.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Simular thing happened to me all gears ok but reverse a bitch, after i bled it it worked fine..i sure you have already done this though, just sayin...
Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea we have bled it but im sure it needs to be power bled. so im going to do that next any advise on bleeding the clutch?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Launching!

yes you can install the stock hurst shifter backwards and it will seal and not leak i have done it the only way you can tell it the shifter hits the dash in 1 and 3.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS198Z28
yes you can install the stock hurst shifter backwards and it will seal and not leak i have done it the only way you can tell it the shifter hits the dash in 1 and 3.
Hmm, I didn't know that about the stock Hurst.

When I installed my Pro 5.0, I 1st tried putting it in with the writing that was stamped into the flange, right-side up. It seemed logical to me. No-go. The writing was up-side down when shifter ball slid into the cup in the tranny. Then I noticed that the mounting bolt holes are offset to one side of the mounting plate. There's no way to install a pro 5.0 backwards. Well, there is if you don't care if the shifter ball isn't sitting inside the cup in the tranny.

Quick Reply: Can you put your shifter in backwards?