Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter = ANNOYING VIBRATION!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter = ANNOYING VIBRATION!

I have a 2001 Camaro SS M6 with the stock shifter.

Nothing is wrong with it, but it shakes and vibrates like hell. The car idles perfect, not 1 vibration, but when i touch the shifter it vibrates pretty hard.

Is there a bolt that needs tightening under there or what? I'm thinking about ordering a pro 5.0 eventually, but for now i need to know how to fix this crappy stock shifter
Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change your tranny mount as well
Old 10-12-2006, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

the tranny doesn't shake, if that were the case wouldn't i feel a loss of power at the wheels, and feel it shaking when i drive/switch gears?

The only thing that shakes is the shifter, i have 0 loss of power at the wheels, and the transmission doesn't shake when puting it in a gear.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

haha, change your tranny mount.

Got to autozone and buy a energy suspension poly GM trans mount, under 20 bucks
Old 10-12-2006, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah my shifter does that as well. The tranny mount is shot. It will get replaced when I do the clutch this winter. If I get that poly trans mount, do I need to worry about changing engine mounts too? I don't want to screw anything else up by upgrading that.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Launching!

just the tranny mount. u can check ur motor mounts for cracks
Old 10-12-2006, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by white99
just the tranny mount. u can check ur motor mounts for cracks
Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that if you upgrade the trans mount, that you need to upgrade the motor mounts too. I will plan on the trans mount for now, but it is possible I will need new motor mounts too. We'll see when I tear into everything this winter.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

looked under the car today, it doesn't look like its the tranny mount, it feels sturdy.

i have 0 decrease in performance and the tranny doesn't shake at all when i put it into gear or when i switch gears..

do you guys think a bolt has come lose where the shifter is bolted to the tranny?

i heard something about someone putting a small rubber gasket under there shifter bolts to stop them from shaking.. i guess ill look at the actual shifter tomorrow.

the car has 18k miles and was driven by a 55 year old man.. garaged for 2 years, i doubt it would be the tranny mount anyways.. but i do imagine that a bolt could come lose after 2 years of being in a garage?

we'll see tomorrow i guess.. maybe i'll replace the tranny mount just for general principle, though. (aka, give me something to do after work)
Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Launching!

as the car is in gear and ur driving give it a decent amount of gas and see if your shifter moves.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it sound like having a bag of change? mine does the same thing. I believe it could be the shifter being worned out. gonna replace it with the billet shifter soon.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brink
looked under the car today, it doesn't look like its the tranny mount, it feels sturdy.
When I was shown my shot mount we needed a prybar to push up on the tranny and you could see the rubber was physically split in two. You will not notice it just looking and trying to shake it by hand. Use a big prybar under the tranny and push up to see if the mount is still in one piece.

I just picked up an Energy Suspension Polyurethane Trans mound this morning at Autozone. It will be going in when I do my clutch this winter.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Brink, Did you ever resolve this? I feel a vibration and it does sound like a rattling, clanging, our "bag of change" as said before. Man I hope it is the tranny mount. I was afraid the tranny was going bad.
I think my car had Lou's short stick in it when I bought it so maybe it is loose as well.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

I have read on many occasions vibration like that and the the mount looking fairly good, its often the pilot bearing.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

The bag of change rattling could be around the input shaft as well. When I did my Ls7 clutch install I had expected to see a worn pilot bearing, but mine looked brand new.

I figure my occasional cold gear grinds and occasion WOT grinds the signs of a transmission declaring fix me.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine vibrates bad too. i changed the mount for a poly one. It didn't help just added a bit more vibration. I can actually see the shifter jigglin.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have read on many occasions vibration like that and the the mount looking fairly good, its often the pilot bearing.

Has anybody resolved the shifter shaking badly by swapping in a new pilot bearing? What would be wrong with it?

Everything on my manual swapped G8 GT from the crank back is brand new with less than 2000 miles since the swap. That's including the pilot bearing.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:48 AM
Teching In

I have a 2001 Camaro SS M6 with the stock shifter.

Nothing is wrong with it, but it shakes and vibrates like hell. The car idles perfect, not 1 vibration, but when i touch the shifter it vibrates pretty hard.

Is there a bolt that needs tightening under there or what? I'm thinking about ordering a pro 5.0 eventually, but for now i need to know how to fix this crappy stock shifter
My fbody does the same but I have a mgw short shifter.. Anybody have any idea what it could be?
Old 12-07-2021, 12:28 AM

Default What rubber gasket? Between the shifter baseplate and the shifter mount?

What rubber gasket? Between the shifter baseplate and the shifter mount?
Old 12-07-2021, 12:30 AM

i have 0 decrease in performance and the tranny doesn't shake at all when i put it into gear or when i switch gears..

do you guys think a bolt has come lose where the shifter is bolted to the tranny?

i heard something about someone putting a small rubber gasket under there shifter bolts to stop them from shaking.. i guess ill look at the actual shifter tomorrow.

the car has 18k miles and was driven by a 55 year old man.. garaged for 2 years, i doubt it would be the tranny mount anyways.. but i do imagine that a bolt could come lose after 2 years of being in a garage?

we'll see tomorrow i guess.. maybe i'll replace the tranny mount just for general principle, though. (aka, give me something to do after work)
What rubber gasket? Between the shifter baseplate and shifter mount?

Quick Reply: Shifter = ANNOYING VIBRATION!