Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removed dash now speedo won't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removed dash now speedo won't work

Well I finally pulled the dash and gutted out everything behind it and plugged the fire wall. However when I put everything back I ended up with the speedo not working and the odometer which I am guessing are linked.

I checked all fuses, they were fine.

I just pulled it all apart again and I do not see anything that looks like it plugs together that I didn't connect.

Anyone have an idea of what I may have broken or not connected back properly?

Everything else works fine on the cluster so I am lost.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Check the connector thats plugs into the gauges, When I did my dash, I pulled the wires and it wouldnt make contact with the speedo until I fixed it by pressing them back in.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by projectcam
Check the connector thats plugs into the gauges, When I did my dash, I pulled the wires and it wouldnt make contact with the speedo until I fixed it by pressing them back in.
Did the rest of the gauges work? Mine all work except the speedo but I am going to definatily go check that.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Yea, only the speedo and the gas gauge let loose, I just had to push them back into place so they would make contact. Hope this helped you.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

I pulled the cover off the back of the wire harness and took a small screw driver and pushed each pin seperately and then took a short spin and it is still the same.

I did notice when I picked up the cluster the speedo needle was moving freely across its normal path and stayed about mid way, when I turned the key it immediately came down to its normal resting position at 0. So it seems it must be getting some current through it.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

try checking for a pinched wire.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Check your ground wires. There are two grounds on each side of the dash. both mount to the bottom studs that mount the dash. I left my ground wire loose on the passenger side of the dash before and the odometer would not light up.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99LS1_TA
Check your ground wires. There are two grounds on each side of the dash. both mount to the bottom studs that mount the dash. I left my ground wire loose on the passenger side of the dash before and the odometer would not light up.

I found two on drivers side but only one on passengers. I do not see another ground available.?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

You're right, there's only one on the passenger side. I was thinking there were two but I just checked and it is only one. Do you have the white and the blue connectors pluged in? These two connectors are behind the passenger kick panel.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99LS1_TA
You're right, there's only one on the passenger side. I was thinking there were two but I just checked and it is only one. Do you have the white and the blue connectors pluged in? These two connectors are behind the passenger kick panel.

Going check now. I did leave the kick panel on when I pulled the dash back out this time so it could be concealing something.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah those two connectors are plugged in.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the help, finally figured it out.
It seems when I was drilling the new panel in to block up the fire wall a screw penetrated a wire harness behind the computer.
Thanks specifically to Corey for spending 5 hours tracing wires in the dark last night till we found it.