Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starter Problem

We are putting an LS2 in a buddy of mine's 00 TA and ran into a problem tonight. When trying to crank it over the starter started smoking. After we got under there the wiring was all correct and not nicked or shorted. The LS2 starter appears to be a different casting than the LS1 because it has a lip on the block side that the LS1 starter doesn't. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable or if there is something different? Also does anyone know how many amps an LSX starter pulls when cranking? I think the starter he got with his motor might be toast and it's a PITA to pull with the headers he has, so I figured we could check how many amps it is pulling and if it is off the scale the starter must be toast. Any help you guys can offer will be apreciated.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:52 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the amps but the starters are interchangeable between LS1 and LS2. The newer starters use 2 long bolts instead of the earlier 1 short bolt and 1 long bolt, but either starter works on either engine.

It sounds like a bad starter if all the nuts on the cables were good and tight.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Thanks, 95% confident that is the problem as well. We still have his LS1 starter laying around waiting to be thrown in too. The only problem is the LS2 starter will not come out with the SLP headers he has unless we take the passenger side header off which is not a lot of fun. Hence the reason I want to see how many amps it should pull to see if it is locked up and pulling a ridiculous amount of juice.

Quick Reply: Starter Problem