Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls6 in a 98 gmc 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls6 in a 98 gmc 1500

I have a 98 SWB 1500 that has a vortec 305. I came across a good deal on an ls6 picked it up currently rebuilding it. What parts do i need to make it happen and the big kicker is i want to keep FI so where do i get a wiring harness. Will my stock K-member work? Otherwise i guess i am gunna find an s-10 or turd gen.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Teching In

The easiest thing that you could is check out Street and Performance at www.hotrodlane.cc. They should have the things that you need like computer, harness, motor mounts and the have a good tech department. They have helped me a lot with putting a LS6 and T-56 into a 1956 Chevy truck
Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Speartech also can set you up with a harness.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

need a truck oil pan?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:05 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have completed this swap in our shop truck. We can provide you with all the correct motor mounts for the swap. Street and Performance at www.hotrodlane.cc sells mounts that will work, but you need to get new driveshafts, cooler lines etc... Our mounts put the the engine and trans in the exact same spot as the original motor. Therefore less things need to be fabricated.

Let me know if you are 2WD or 4WD.

Send us an E-mail or PM we'll help in anyway we can.

Thanks

Last edited by Tim @ EAD Performance; 10-14-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im a 2wd. Man any kind of help would be badass! Especially on liek motor mounts any steering issues yall had and headers etc!
Old 10-14-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim @ EAD Performance
We have completed this swap in our shop truck. We can provide you with all the correct motor mounts for the swap. Street and Performance at www.hotrodlane.cc sells mounts that will work, but you need to get new driveshafts, cooler lines etc... Our mounts put the the engine and trans in the exact same spot as the original motor. Therefore less things need to be fabricated.

Let me know if you are 2WD or 4WD.

Send us an E-mail or PM we'll help in anyway we can.

Thanks
Got any pics of the shop truck? I went on the website and there wasn't andthing listed in the LSx swap section....

Real curious what you guys offer, and how you dealt with the low mounted a/c compressor on the OBS trucks.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:53 PM
MASS seller approved

I'll get some pics up in the next couple of days.
We relocated the a/c up to the passenger side head. We'll be using a completely stock setup off of a 94' 1500. Using the lines, accumulator etc so the only custom part is the bracket to mount it to the LS1 engine.

For the entire swap, the only custom parts are the engine mounts and the wiring harness. Everything else is off the shelf parts from the OBS truck, or new parts from a 99+ 1500. We even used stock manifolds and the stock y-pipe from a new 6.0L truck before we got a set of long tubes on it.

If we had swapped in a dash from a new truck like we originally planned, we wouldn't of even needed to make a wiring harness as it would of all plugged into the harness with the dash from the new truck.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm curious as to why you decided to go with the older style a/c compressor. Easier to mount?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up LS1 Installation...

Originally Posted by 1970judge
I have a 98 SWB 1500 that has a vortec 305. I came across a good deal on an ls6 picked it up currently rebuilding it. What parts do i need to make it happen and the big kicker is i want to keep FI so where do i get a wiring harness. Will my stock K-member work? Otherwise i guess i am gunna find an s-10 or turd gen.
The front cross-member is not a problem. I simply purchased the S & P Sanden 508 compressor & pulleys kit for a passenger side high location, to cure the A/C situation. My engine is mounted right up against the firewall & down as low as I could get it, using a stock F-body oil pan. The trucks original Vortec 4.3 V-6 frame mounts were in the perfect location to accomplish this, by simply fabricating a flat plate that mounted up to the block with two ears pointing downward to slide a bolt through. My blocks motor mount bolt pattern is perfectly lined up with the original frame mount locations, without using the offset block adapter plates that most people use, which brings the complete drivetrain farthur forward. I converted my F-body engines other front accessories to Vette accessories. Using an F-body engine harness & computer works best. Your 12 volt keyed power, constant 12 volt power, fuel pump relay power, A/C relay power, etc...,wires for connection to an F-Body harness, already exist in the 1996 thru 1998 OBS main power center/fuse block, under the hood. I also used S & P's "G-Body" headers, thermal coated both inside & out, which fit pretty nice. I fabricated my own 2 1/2" dual exhaust with a single dual-in, dual out, DynoMax stainless muffler. My driveshaft needed to be shortened, due to the drivetrain being farthur back than the original V-6 drivetrain. The transmission oil dipstick & tube had to be replaced with a Lokar stainless steel braided tube version, as there was'nt enough space between the firewall & the engine for the factory one. The original V-6 throttle cable worked perfectly on the LS1 throttle-body & should on your application as well. I replace the factory transmission crossmember with a custom fabricated single box tube design with an Energy Suspension mount. Computer is mounted on the passenger side wheel-well, using a stock F-body computer mount. Maybe some of this can help you, as I know how difficult it was for me to research this project three years ago, when nobody was doing it. Good luck with your project. Gar

Last edited by LS1GMCTruck; 10-14-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 350SS
I'm curious as to why you decided to go with the older style a/c compressor. Easier to mount?
The older style a/c compressor is not very deep, so it is able to sit right in front of the passenger side cylinder head. I didn't really like the idea of hanging the compressor way past the engine to get a longer more common styled a/c compressor to work. It also gives the swap a more factory look which we strive for whenever possible.

Like Tim said we'll get pictures up as soon as we can, pictures will help explain a lot of it.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Default 1970Judge!

How's the LS6 installation coming along? Gar
Old 01-07-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

never got around to it, i sold the motor for double and then some what i payed for it.

Quick Reply: Ls6 in a 98 gmc 1500