LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help me with a few questions(ignition coil, and exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with a few questions(ignition coil, and exhaust)

Thanks for reading. First off, my ignition coil is cracked, as in, if I put an extending mirror down under it, I can see sparks, it's also making a loud ticking sound. How bad could this be hurting performance/gas milage?(Yes, I know it's only 15$, I'm fixing it asap.

Next question.. When I put on my long tubes, I just left them, and removed all the other exhaust stuff. so I'm running straight longtubes. I've been told that LT1's don't really benifit much from the backpressure of a full exhaust system. So am I losing power, or gaining it by just leaving it open? I actually like the sound.. it sounds very beastly.

also anyone know a good spot for a ignition coil change walk through? >.<
Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

The ignition coil is very eary to remove. two bolts that hold the icm-coil bracket to the head. I believe their 9/16 bolts. The stock coil is riveted to the bracket, so you will have to drill them out and grind them down like i did. I replaced mine with the MSD GM Blaster coil which came with bolts to bolt it back to the bracket instead of rivets. The long tubes, I personally don't have LT's, I have Mid-Tubes. Anyway, Its really up to you. I'm not 100% sure, but, i don't think its really gonna hurt your power any.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

definately change the coil, that being damaged is the same as bad wires or a few bad plugs, msd blaster here too, ive got long tubes in to an ory, now after the ORY i have it flanged so i can put the catalytic conveter in there to pass emissions, straight pipe to go back to the muffler and a turndown so i can run straight off the ORY. with the cat its restrictive and you can tell, the straight pipe back frees it up a lot but still keeps it tame and when i really wanna let it breathe the turndown it is, the ory seems to give it just enough back pressure with out it i dunno because yes the lt1's dont always like that much free flow on a stock motor
Old 10-14-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks, any more opinions/knowledge on the longtubes thing?

Quick Reply: Help me with a few questions(ignition coil, and exhaust)