Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans Am Vibrations at 2500 RPM V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am Vibrations at 2500 RPM V8

I am getting vibrations at about 2500 rpm in neutral, park, and any gear. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the torque converter and rebuilt the transmission but it did not solve the problem. They replace the flywheel and harmonic balancer and still no help. You feel the vibrations in any gear at just above 2000 rpm. It feels like a miss but they put the computer on it and found no miss. It feels like your tires are out of balance at about 85 mph but there are no tire problems. I do seem to hear some ping when rapidly acellerating but I am running bp gast 93 octane. The dealer does not know what to do at this point. There best sugestion was that it was not a good idea to run 2200 rpm while in neutal. Anybody have a sugestion.

Thanks, Bill
Old 10-14-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

check the drive shaft. thats the only thing i can think of, my car vibrates differently when im at 85mph, and it has some vibrating in other speeds. welcome to the ownership of an F-body. vibrations and squeeks just mean the car loves you
Old 10-15-2006, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Kevano26 is right, it comes with the territory. Yours is sounding to be engine related because you said it does it in park also. Maybe you have a bad motor mount. Hope the dealership payed for all of those fixes $$$. Wheres the vibration feel like its coming from gas pedal, shift handle, is it on the steering wheel, or is it a combination of a few. I have two separate vibrations and both come from three places gas pedal steering wheel and shift handle.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Check ur Tranny mount too
Old 10-15-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it didnt vibrate in park I would also say to check teh tires, z-rated tires tend to get out of balance easier when they sit a while. I know whenever I drive my WS-6 after it has been parked for a while it will vibrate for a good while, and then it just goes away. I guess since they are softer they have to get round again. Dunno
Old 10-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Teching In

It vibrates in park and neutral. It vibrates thru the pedal, and wheel with neither stronger. It feels like a heavy miss and occurs at any accelleration at betweet 2000 and 2600 rpm. Someone sugested a defective knock sensor and it does sort of make sense. I do here pinging just before the vibration and if the sensor is sensing something wrong and over correcting then it could advance the timing to a point that it would cause a miss. Any one ever have a problem with the knock sensor like this?

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

I would think that would trip the SES.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Default Finally solved!!

I am happy to say that the problem is solved after about $400 in repairs and rental fees. I went to pick it up and went for a test drive with the check in tech. The battery was almost dead probably from sitting in the garage with the door open at least it smelled like that. We went for the test drive and nothing had changed. The vibration was the same. I agreed to take the car and return in a week with a different complaint so that the warranty company would pay again. The paid $1800 for this visit for the torque converter and the transmission overhaul.
I agreed to purchase a new battery when they offered to replace it with no labor charge on it. I paid my $59 for the new battery and told the receptionist I would see her again. The car had sat there about 15 minutes without a battery while they checked one out from the parts department. I drove home and did not notice whether there was a vibration or not, I was so agravated with the car.
The next day I noticed that the vibration was gone. I tried at all speeds and in neutral to duplicate the problem. It seems that the computer must have been causing the problem and disconnecting the battery solved the entire problem. That is the only logical answer and it is a shame that it cost so much to find out. I had a problem with a jeep electrical system in the past and disconecting the battery solved the problem with the computer. I will always remember in the future to disconnect the battery in the future before I do anything else.

Thanks for all of your sugestions, Bill

PS I now have a squeaking sound now because they left the manafold loose during the repair. I may consider a new shop in the future. Anybody know of a good shop in Jacksonville Florida.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

mine only feels like the wheels are offbalance at 75 mph. it even did it on the way home from getting the tires balanced

Quick Reply: Trans Am Vibrations at 2500 RPM V8