Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you Advance a Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why do you Advance a Cam

Why do you do it. I just ordered a H/C package from TSP and my cam is the Torquer V3 would I have to advance it and if I did what are the benefits. Can you get the tool at autozone.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main reason to advance a cam is to move the powerband down. For instance, I had a big cam in my 370 iron block a while back with a powerband of 3k-6800, so I advanced it to move the powerband down to a more useable area for the street. However, advancing the cam is usually only done in situations like I just described where the cam isn't properly matched for your goals. With a proper setup, no advancing is needed on your part (only in the grinding process where you may want some advance ground in for theh proper intake valve closing and exhaust valve opening). Also, there is not a simple tool for it. You take the front timing cover off, undo the sprockets and adjust the cam.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You do have to have a adjustable timing chain in order to do it. There's no tool, just the chain and sproket.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have to have an adjustable timing chain Did you mean adjustable timing set? Even then you don't have to have one of those. You can have the stock sprockets and just take the cam sprocket off and adjust it how you want it.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
You can have the stock sprockets and just take the cam sprocket off and adjust it how you want it.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Its commonly done on older style SBC's with distributors. Yes it can be done with the timing set, but, its more commonly done by adjusting the distributor.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jm93camaro
Its commonly done on older style SBC's with distributors. Yes it can be done with the timing set, but, its more commonly done by adjusting the distributor.
That would be spark timing, not cam timing. Turning the distributor would alter when the spark occured, not any valve events.

On an SBC, you can use offset bushings for the cam sprocket, offset keyways for the crank gear, or adjustable timing sets of many varieties. Some use a crank gear with multiple keyways ground at angles ranging from 8* retarded to 8* advanced. Cloyes also made a hex-adjust set that allowed you to loosen the bolts that secured the cam gear, then turn an allen screw to align the dot on the adjuster with several retarded or advanced settings.

Actually, a quick search seems to net the same methods for LSx engines as well.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

I bought the double adj timing set from TSP. I would like to bring my cam powerband down a little also b/c I still have a stock A4 so I want keep my stock shift points. Is there any instructions to go about advancing the cam.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Than that would be degreeing the cam correct? I just realised what i was saying after i typed it.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ohsofast
I bought the double adj timing set from TSP. I would like to bring my cam powerband down a little also b/c I still have a stock A4 so I want keep my stock shift points. Is there any instructions to go about advancing the cam.
There should be instructions that come with the timing set. Just keep in mind, 1 degree on the timing set does NOT mean the cam is 1 degree advanced. It's actually quite more than one degree, sometimes 4 sometimes 8.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks everyone can't wait till my parts get here
Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

i got my torquer with 112 +2(intake centerline)
Old 10-16-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

You have to have an adjustable timing chain Did you mean adjustable timing set? Even then you don't have to have one of those. You can have the stock sprockets and just take the cam sprocket off and adjust it how you want it.
Yes, adjustable timing set, I think most know a chain is not adjustable. So your adjusting IVC by moving the cam sprocket? How exactly are you moving it when it only goes on one way? Most adjustable sets are done with the crank sproket. I would think that if you are adjusting it with the stock set (seems ghetto), you wouldn't know how much your moving it unless you degree it. My guess would also be, that if your jerry rigging the timing set, that your not gunna degree it anyway. Maybe I'm missing something? Adjustable sets are cheap?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't mean to adjust using the cam sprocket, just taking the cam sprocket off so you can move the chain on the crank sprocket without having to pull the pump. Moving it a tooth on on the stock crank sprocket is like moving it a tooth on any other sprocket, but yes, you have to degree the cam to make sure this way. It's just an option if you don't have an adjustable set on there.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I didn't mean to adjust using the cam sprocket, just taking the cam sprocket off so you can move the chain on the crank sprocket without having to pull the pump. Moving it a tooth on on the stock crank sprocket is like moving it a tooth on any other sprocket, but yes, you have to degree the cam to make sure this way. It's just an option if you don't have an adjustable set on there.
Gotcha. I see where your coming from now. That would deffinatlly be a degreeing situation. I had a buddy grind out the 3 holes on his cam sprocket to adjust advance one time. Talk about ghetto. Lucky for him it wouldn't crank afterwards.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haha, nnnnice.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

If the cam sprocket has 36 teeth and you move it one tooth, you've advanced your cam by 10 degrees.(360/36) Moving the chain one tooth on the crank sprocket is no different than moving it one tooth on the cam sprocket. However, cam timing is measured in degrees of crank rotation, which is twice that of the camshaft. So advancing the cam 10 degrees makes the intake valve open 20 degrees earlier than it did before; which is far to much. The amount that you advance the cam must be doubled to get the correct advance in crank degrees. You dont want to adjust timing by jumping teeth on the sprockets. Get the right adjustable timing set.

Al
Old 10-18-2006, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Run that cam dot to dot. If you needed it advanced TSP would have done that for you. If you go moving around the valve events you'll wind up with a valve thru your piston. Torquer V3 has a pretty high lift.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ProdriveMS
Moving the chain one tooth on the crank sprocket is no different than moving it one tooth on the cam sprocket
The crank gear is larger and has more teeth, thus moving one tooth on the crank gear will be less than moving one tooth on the cam sprocket. Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's not how you advance a cam...

you use an "adjustable" cam sprocket which has extra holes in it for the cam dowel.

Quick Reply: Why do you Advance a Cam