Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharged car making alot of heat under easy driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 03:19 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default procharged car making alot of heat under easy driving

just wondering if its the tunning or something physical i need to change...
im still using the 1 ATI fan and under easy driving conditions... under 3k rpms it builds heat fast... it has a 3.4 pulley and a 7.625 pulley... its a 408 with stock heads

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...06#post5695006

im kinda stumped...
Old 10-14-2006, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

I would add the 9" spal fan onto your shroud before i go driving anymore. 250deg temps are not good on the motor.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:39 PM
7 Second Club

does it normally build that much heat under easy driving conditions on other cars with out the extra fan?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Mine overheats sometime with the stock 346 engine. I think an iron block with more displacment would generate more heat so i bet your problem is the stock radiator/fan setup. Go with Griffen or Davis radiators + 2 huge fan setups. I think im going to do the same with my 408.

By the way what did your car dyno with the 408/stock heads/D-1SC setup?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 347 with the one ATI fan thing sucked ***, car would always want to overheat. I took some stock fans and cut them to fit onto the front of my stock radiator. then put each fan on its own relays and wired them to run backwards to they push air into the radiator and put them on a switch in the cabin. car has ran ok since but still probalby needs a bigger radiator to be totally safe.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:03 PM
7 Second Club

car has never been dynoed.... hopefully after i get the heating issue done and the tune closer ill put it on a dyno and finish it up...
Old 10-14-2006, 06:58 PM
8 Second Club

Bro-you need to do search and read all the posts that address the cooling issues with a procharger and ther single fan. I'm sure you'll find lots of answers.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:04 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a tune, you may be runnnig too lean, which will build a lot of heat. Also check to make sure the fan is blowing the right direction, it is real easy to wire it up to run the wrong way.
I'm glad to see you finally got your combination up and running! Bob
Old 10-14-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt use 1 fan on anythuign btu stock. And u r abotu as far from stock as u can get. Iron block, more cubes, FI. I would at least get the best fans u can get and add them to the setup u already have. GL man

John
Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Without a tune, you may be runnnig too lean, which will build a lot of heat. Also check to make sure the fan is blowing the right direction, it is real easy to wire it up to run the wrong way.
I'm glad to see you finally got your combination up and running! Bob

in easy driving conditions i've got the tune nailed at about 12.5-12.0 easy... but i guess its time to drop some more cash for a big radiator...

i plan on putting a F1c on in about 1-2 years so im gonna go ahead and get a big-big radiator with 2 fans and prolly cut the front cross piece and move everything forward.... then i can fit fans and a big 4'' elbo back there easy...

i probably wont even start on that till after thanksgiving.... radiators and fans are expensive too
Old 10-15-2006, 02:34 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vortech
Bro-you need to do search and read all the posts that address the cooling issues with a procharger and ther single fan. I'm sure you'll find lots of answers.
i saw all the posts i was just curious if anything else were possilbe.... but yeah.... looks like a bigger rad. and 2 fans... the money just never ends in FI it seems like...
Old 10-15-2006, 02:28 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bigger/better radiator and 2 fans and all the other tricks I could find but I still run hot too. Not that bad, I hit 222 once, but my issue is the car gets hotter as you drive in town. I have no idea how hot it could get, I always shut it down when it gets warm. Airflow is the biggest issue, just getting cool ambient air into the radiator is the hardest part with a FMIC. One thing that helped me was I made my airdam longer, so it was closer to the ground, therefor it "scooped" more air. The downside is my car is lowered, and I have already beat the airdam up pretty good.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TS6
I have a bigger/better radiator and 2 fans and all the other tricks I could find but I still run hot too. Not that bad, I hit 222 once, but my issue is the car gets hotter as you drive in town. I have no idea how hot it could get, I always shut it down when it gets warm. Airflow is the biggest issue, just getting cool ambient air into the radiator is the hardest part with a FMIC. One thing that helped me was I made my airdam longer, so it was closer to the ground, therefor it "scooped" more air. The downside is my car is lowered, and I have already beat the airdam up pretty good.
What brand and size of radiator are you running?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:14 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6

what is your compression and pulley sizes?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
the money just never ends in FI it seems like...

Thats why I dislike when someone asks, "I have $8000.00 can I get into FI?'
Its not about getting in the game, its staying it the game. It is always one thing after the other.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

At least geta better fan setup. But a rad should be in your future too.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

You'll find this answer among many others with a search through the FI postings... but the main problem is that the system is designed as strictly pull-through. To me, that means that if adequate airflow is achieved the stock radiator will do just fine. My FM turbo cools just fine at highway speeds, so I know the radiator can take care of it's job as long as enough air is moved. So I wouldn't shell out $$ on that until you've tried bigger pushers, hopefully shrouded. And if you want to save yourself a bunch of hair-pulling and swearing, just delete the AC and mount those pushers right on the radiator.

Something that I haven't seen anyone try is a "sandwich"; basically stick a couple pushers between the AC condenser and the radiator (so they'd pull through the AC and push through the radiator), and move the air dam to the bottom of the AC condenser. Might be too difficult to relocate the condenser, I don't know. But if you could make it a tight fit, you'd have pretty efficient airflow across the whole thing.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
im still using the 1 ATI fan and under easy driving conditions... under 3k rpms it builds heat fast
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...06#post5695006

im kinda stumped...
How can you possibly be stumped after all the threads in this section about everyone running hot with the ATI shroud & single fan, and then adding another fan (first & foremost), among other things, to address this issue?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM
7 Second Club

one thing about the turbo setup is it doesnt build boost while just normal driving.... a blower will produce some at high way speeds depending how fast your rpms are...

Originally Posted by RW99
You'll find this answer among many others with a search through the FI postings... but the main problem is that the system is designed as strictly pull-through. To me, that means that if adequate airflow is achieved the stock radiator will do just fine. My FM turbo cools just fine at highway speeds, so I know the radiator can take care of it's job as long as enough air is moved. So I wouldn't shell out $$ on that until you've tried bigger pushers, hopefully shrouded. And if you want to save yourself a bunch of hair-pulling and swearing, just delete the AC and mount those pushers right on the radiator.

Something that I haven't seen anyone try is a "sandwich"; basically stick a couple pushers between the AC condenser and the radiator (so they'd pull through the AC and push through the radiator), and move the air dam to the bottom of the AC condenser. Might be too difficult to relocate the condenser, I don't know. But if you could make it a tight fit, you'd have pretty efficient airflow across the whole thing.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cyborg
How can you possibly be stumped after all the threads in this section about everyone running hot with the ATI shroud & single fan, and then adding another fan (first & foremost), among other things, to address this issue?
i said i had read them... but i figured with such a low CR--- 8:1 i didnt think i'd have as many problems as everyone else.... sorry for asking...

Quick Reply: procharged car making alot of heat under easy driving