Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How quickly would spun bearings be obvious?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default How quickly would spun bearings be obvious?

I used some new non-DOT road race slicks for a recent race, and I'm concerned that the lateral G's may have caused some oil problems. No problems at the event and made the two hour drive home without any problems. I notice the next day while driving it home from work that the oil pressure was dropping a bit whe I went WOT, so I made a mental note to add oil that night.

Forgot about it, but the next morning the Low Oil idiot light was on at cold idle, and there was nary a bit of oil on the stick. Added 2qts to put it near the top of the hash marks. That evening or the following day, the block seemed to be tapping. So I turned it off and haven't started it since.

One part of me says if there was an oiling problem I shouldn't have made it safely home those ~150 miles. I do have a ported SLP oil pump, eagle rods and ARP rod bolts.

So am I being paranoid, or could the symptoms have waited that long to show up?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I used some new non-DOT road race slicks for a recent race, and I'm concerned that the lateral G's may have caused some oil problems. No problems at the event and made the two hour drive home without any problems. I notice the next day while driving it home from work that the oil pressure was dropping a bit whe I went WOT, so I made a mental note to add oil that night.

Forgot about it, but the next morning the Low Oil idiot light was on at cold idle, and there was nary a bit of oil on the stick. Added 2qts to put it near the top of the hash marks. That evening or the following day, the block seemed to be tapping. So I turned it off and haven't started it since.

One part of me says if there was an oiling problem I shouldn't have made it safely home those ~150 miles. I do have a ported SLP oil pump, eagle rods and ARP rod bolts.

So am I being paranoid, or could the symptoms have waited that long to show up?

In my experience it would be pretty obvious that you spun a bearing and you wouldn't have driven it home, the sound would have gotten progressively worse. Now as far as the oil issue, it could have had some blow by during the race or something along those lines. Seeing as it's a 98, maybe piston slap is freaking you out because your mind is in the rod bearing state. Just my suggestions, the LS1 isn't known to be super quiet
Old 10-15-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, I've also got Wiseo forged nitrous pistons - and they're noisy all by themselves. It's far from the original block. I try to go through a block every year or so, it keeps my stress level high
Old 10-15-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well if you damaged it, chances are you did so while going WOT the day after you returned. hows your oil pressure, even if it is tapping?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt worry too much, old oil will cause pressure to drop under WOT. If you spun a bearing damage is done. If the tick goes away when the engine is warm, dont worry or if the car dosnt seem sluggish at wot throttle. I can understand the paranoia, I get like that when my car acts the slightest bit strange
Old 10-15-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I just took it for a 30 minute spin and it seems to be OK Oil pressure cold idle was between 45-50, cold cruise right around 60, warm cruise was right around 50, warm idle right around 40. If never dipped below 40 at all. If there wasn't any damage, I'm not complaining ... but I'm still wondering what saved my a$$. 2 qts low 1-2 days after a high-G event just scares me.

I couldn't hear the tapping tonight. I could hear my normally noisy Wiseco pistons, and exhaust leaks The valvetrain noise seemed louder on the passenger side.