Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Composition head gaskets or MLS , which one, really!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Composition head gaskets or MLS , which one, really!?

I was taking off my heads thinking MLS, MLS all the way. Then I got to cleaning the sucker and remembering how half my gasket ripped apart taking it off, guess it did not want t come off, so, this got me thinking a little. For an average street car, replacing the gaskets with the composite set would be the choice, as it would seal from water leaks better? This is also being under the impression that there is slight (I am talking very very slight for example) warpage of the head and or block!? Now, I do understand that for a good non leaking cylinder seal the MLS would be the way to go as your trying to get past more than just a little ring, but, that would go hand in hand with a NON (very very slight) warped head/block. With that in mind, an all around street car should get a xxxx gasket?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The MLS gaskets are less forgiving on surface imperfections, but the GM gaskets will allow more surface imperfections than the Cometics. I don't see why you can't just re-use the graphite gaskets.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock composite gaskets on my 98 ripped like a banshee when I took them off. Each one came off in no less than 4 differant peices, lol.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I finished my H/C install my thermosta stuck and the composite head gasket blew @ 230. I've never seen a MLS gasket fail at that low of a temperature. That is also what I replaced my head gaskets with when I fixed it, I used 6.0l MLS gaskets
Old 10-15-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, i am taking the heads to the shop to see is they are warped. I hope this dude doesnt say yes just becasue he needs a little extra cash, lol.

Any one else would like to chime in on my goofy question?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your heads are 2000 and newer, go with the MLS gaskets. If they are the older heads with the notch in them you'll have to use the composite gasket, cause the MLS will leak for sure.

If the heads are warped, get them decked. No sense going through all the trouble of putting on new head gaskets to have them leak because of a warped head.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I agree, I just dont want to dump too much into this thing before I get it runing and sell her Quick! I will say though, Whoever gets her WILL have a nice running vehicle, as much as I have gone through her with a fine tooth comb! Might even have to steal back the nice new-er carpet I put in it.