General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brake Pads?

Old 10-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads?

Well I have had a BRAKE light on in my car for a couple weeks and today i checked all connections and everything was fine, but my pads were shot all around. I was wondering if that would somehow throw a light?

Also my Dad wants me to take it and have the pads put on...and he wants me to split the cost with him. Couldnt i just do this myself in the driveway and save a few $$$
Old 10-15-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive never seen burnt pads through a sensor....

as for the pads yes you can do them yourself, but if youve never done them before id have some help you with them....theres several things involved, not just popping the wheel off, slinging the caliper open and putting them on....
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

I would have some help...but what would a typical price be to install pads on all 4 corners? If it's not an arm and leg i may just take it somewhere...
Old 10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on type of pads your going to get and who you take it to....for instance, i have a guy i take my car to...we did them together at his business, with a good set of pads, and i paid about 100 bucks for parts and his help....but just taking it to someone your probably looking at about 150-200 bucks
Old 10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Pick up a repair manual like Haynes or Chilton, at almost any auto store. Sometimes they're hard to find, for 98-02 V8 f-bodies, but they will explain in perfect detail how to do just about everything, from brakes, tune up, to complete engine overhaul. If you follow the instructions and have someone halfway knowledgable help, you'll be fine and save half the price of getting it done.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's also a good idea to replace the rotors at the same time. If you decide to do it yourself, below is a link to an excellent write-up.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm
Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystic95
Well I have had a BRAKE light on in my car for a couple weeks and today i checked all connections and everything was fine, but my pads were shot all around. I was wondering if that would somehow throw a light?
The BRAKE light on the dash is for your emergency brake, has nothing to do with your regular brakes as far as I know. Make sure the lever is all the way down.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The BRAKE light on the dash is for your emergency brake, has nothing to do with your regular brakes as far as I know. Make sure the lever is all the way down.
+1 agree

Doing brake pads by yourself is definitely do-able. I had NO idea how to do my brakes, and I started doing it by myself. I was changing my rotors as well. I ended up calling a few friends and having them come over to help, but it really wasnt too hard of a task. All you have to do is remove the bolt behind the caliper, and the caliper slides off, then remove the brake pads, compress the piston inside the caliper (because the new brake pads will be bigger than the old brake pads, the piston is adjusted to the old brake pads so when you try to put the new ones in they wont fit since theyre so much bigger)

Piston Decompressor-rent at autozone for $40 (this is collateral, its a free rental, once you bring it back you get your $ back)

Have someone whos done this before help you. Its honestly VERY easy, and not worth paying $150-$200 for.

If you want some help you can PM me and Ill be able to explain further.

But as far as the BRAKE light goes. That just means your E-brake is engaged.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Install university has a good write up. They did forget to talk about the pins/sliders. I drive in winter so maybe it's my problem. But I suggest you change the seals on all the pins and grease them up. Easy to do while it's all apart. Having a pin sieze up sucks.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

I use a C-clamp to compress the pistons. Take your time, give it a couple of cranks and let it compress. Make sure you get them all the way compressed or you'll be taking the pads back off and doing it again.

Search this Thread