General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Here Is What I Did For Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Here Is What I Did For Winter Storage

Well the t/a is in storage..

I am not completely done with it yet.. Still need to get the damp rid and fill the tires up and add a little more gas. Just below F

Anyways this is what I did.. Took me a long time but well worth it. The paint I will get some pics when I go back on Monday or Tuesday

First after I got off of work I went to my friend’s cousin’s shop. Did an oil change, put in a new fuel filter and did a coolant flush too.

Started by cleaning out my mom’s garage she was nice enough to let me store it there. There is a waiting list for a garage where I live.

Next I vacuumed out the car. Just be fore I put it away the car was already clean btw b/c I went to the track last weekend already washed and waxed. But anyways I vacuumed the car again. I took my time and went over every nook and cranny.

I then proceeded to the interior. The best glass cleaner ever is INVISIBLE GLASS. Been using that for 4+yrs now. Did all the windows, front window, rear view mirror, the mirrors in the visors, pass a drivers side windows and the rear window.. BTW yes INVISIBLE GLASS is safe for tinted windows. All my cars I have ever owned has had tint, and INVISIBLE GLASS has never tuned them purple..

After cleaning the windows I used Meguiars NXT interior cleaner for the dash, door panels, the rear seat all the plastic and by the hatch were the T-tops are held and the plastic where the rear speakers are.

Washing time. I soaked the car with water first. Filled up a bucket of HOT water with Dawn dishwashing soap. Proceeded to wash the Trans Am.. I really washed it really well... got it all nice and soapy. Cleaned the chrome rims too

Rinse.. No need to explain

Then I took the California wiper blade got rid off all the water, what ever was left took the ABSORBER chamois and get the remaining water. NOTE- I highly recommend the California wiper blade it will cut your drying time down by almost 98%

Made sure all the water was off the car. I proceeded to wax. Here is what I used. I got the Meguiars 3 stage wax. 1 step is a cleaner wax, 2nd step is a carnauba wax and the 3rd step is a polishing wax. I don’t really need to explain how to wax a car. I did do it sections at a time. I applied the wax with a terry circular pad and I took the wax off with these little towels that are 1' ft by 1' ft and are diaper soft. Got them both from AutoZone. BTW when I was waxing the car I started at 4 got done at 7. And the temp was around 50* PERFECT waxing conditions

Almost done. Then I did all exterior windows with INVISIBLE GLASS. I also cleaned the headlights and fog lights too.

Next came the chrome rims.. All I did was spray INVISIBLE GLASS on them. Been doing that to my chrome fore ever.

Now I treated the leather with the Meguiars leather conditioner.

Finally I took silicone spray to a terry towel, sprayed it down and took the towel over all the seals. By the window, and T-tops and wiped them all down. Sprayed the 2 door, sprayed the hinges and by the trunk wiped that seal down too..

I am practically all done. I did take the Trans Am for a short cruise. The rotors were sitting all the time with water on them. We all know that rusts builds up on them. So I took it for a cruise to get the rust off, plus I wanted to get any remaining water out of my rear bumper..

Came back parked it in the nice clean garage put the cover on it, said good night till I come back with the Damp Rid..

What is next? Pull the battery or leave it.. Will be sitting November - April.. 6 months...
Old 10-15-2006, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go ahead and disconnect the battery and if you are feeling a little froggy you could also put the car on jackstands to take the weight off the suspension (I do this when we store our show cars for the winter)
Old 10-15-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like everything i did except i did just one coat of wax..and i leave the battery in with the negative cable disconnected.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redtail2426
sounds like everything i did except i did just one coat of wax..and i leave the battery in with the negative cable disconnected.

the wax was meguiars 3 step process...
Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

nthat
Old 10-16-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much external engine content. Lets try this one over here.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks and sorry about that
Old 10-16-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your battery out and put it on a Battery Tender. It'll be deadern' hell in six months without it.

You going to use gas stabilizer?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Take your battery out and put it on a Battery Tender. It'll be deadern' hell in six months without it.

You going to use gas stabilizer?

i dont know if i am going to put in fuel stabilizer in.. gas stay good for like 6 months or so... i still need to pull the TA out put in about 45 psi in the tires, get the damp rid still and maybe put in the fuel stabilizer
Old 10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Why would you not put fuel stabilizer in? It's like $4.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Why would you not put fuel stabilizer in? It's like $4.

how do you use fuel stabilizer.. lol.. i know you add it to a full tank, but how much do you add??? lol
Old 10-16-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to hijack the thread, but this is my first time with a winter vehicle so Im new to storing my car. Would it be ok to take it out every 10 or so days just around the neighborhood and an occasional trip to the gas station? I figure it would only be started up 3-4 times a month running for around 15 minutes each time. Its always garaged and whatnot, I just didnt know if this would be ok rather than going through all these steps. I have plans to do some mods this winter anyways so Id be moving it in and out of the garage anyways. Any comments/tips appreciated. Sorry to go off topic.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
how do you use fuel stabilizer.. lol.. i know you add it to a full tank, but how much do you add??? lol
It's x ounces to x gallons, it'll tell you on the bottle. I usually put stabil in at the gas station before I fill up, fill the tank, drive home to get the stabilizer circulated through the system & you're good to go.

Originally Posted by Cld068
Not to hijack the thread, but this is my first time with a winter vehicle so Im new to storing my car. Would it be ok to take it out every 10 or so days just around the neighborhood and an occasional trip to the gas station? I figure it would only be started up 3-4 times a month running for around 15 minutes each time. Its always garaged and whatnot, I just didnt know if this would be ok rather than going through all these steps. I have plans to do some mods this winter anyways so Id be moving it in and out of the garage anyways. Any comments/tips appreciated. Sorry to go off topic.
Don't run the car because you think it needs it.....because it doesn't. Just get it out on nice days and actually drive it. At least 10-15 miles to get all the moisture burnt out and everything up to operating temps.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

the ta right now is jsut below F.. so it is really full.. what now
Old 10-17-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Don't run the car because you think it needs it.....because it doesn't. Just get it out on nice days and actually drive it. At least 10-15 miles to get all the moisture burnt out and everything up to operating temps.
Right on, thanks for the response
Old 10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
the ta right now is jsut below F.. so it is really full.. what now
Put the appropriate amount of stabilizer in, run the car long enough to circulate it through the rest of the fuel system & you're done.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:59 PM

I would make sure the tank is full & add the stabilizer. Sucks that you have to store it for that lone. Here, it's about late Dec to late March or early April.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I would make sure the tank is full & add the stabilizer. Sucks that you have to store it for that lone. Here, it's about late Dec to late March or early April.

i could maybe get away with having the T/A out til Dec or 1st snow fall.. also sometimes here in march it is still snowing.. so i am now saving gas, miles and ins... ohh trust me i miss it. espically when i see a hot chick or other people in a ta, camaro or stang.. but oh well my toyota is grat on gas, ins is next to nothing and it is roomier than hell LOL
Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Import Patrol

Hey Jonas just so you know (busting your ***** here) nov - april is NOT 6 moths it is 5 months!