Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

98ls1 camaro fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98ls1 camaro fuel pump replacement

Ok finally out of denial. the pump in my 98 ls1 camaro needs replacing. I have read about the cut a hole in trunk method. I do not want to do that. So looking at my shop manual i see it says you need to remove the rearend!! Is that necessary??? Can tank be removed without removing the rear?? Can i just lower the rear down(support car and let rear hang)?? 98 has the steal fuel tank if that matters.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 10-16-2006, 05:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you don't have much fuel in the tank, 'cos wrestling a heavy tank is a bitch and a half!
The axle doesn't have to come out, but it does have to hang down quite a bit for the fuel neck to clear the chassis and come out without a snag. You do have to take off all the heatshields and the catback.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not that bad... its all about angling it out.. make sure you run that tank almost dry.. remove the rubber holder on the filler neck.. have a friend help out if you have one...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pump

Its completed. Not bad job ..done much worse. scale 1-10 10 being most difficult id give it a 5 . Mostly because im getting to old to be laying on my back doing this crap. You do need to remove sway bar end links and shocks ..disconnect bracket holding barke line. At least in a 98 (steel tank) you need to bend the filler neck down maybe 1/4 inch more like "tweak" not really bend. If i wasnt so **** lining up tailpipes entire job wouldve taken probally 7 hours with no interuptions. Gm shop manual says 5.1. I siphoned 8 gallons out of tank had about 3 in it.
Ryan