Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo off a truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Turbo off a truck

a friend of mind just dropped of a turbo he saw laying around at work brand new. Its a Holset turbo and ther are no ar numbers on the compressor or turbine housing. What im getting at is can this turbo be used if the housing was changed? How can i tell what size compressor and turbine wheel is it its a standard bearing center section. here are a few pictures of it he told me if i can use it i can have it. i have access to different compressor and turbine housing. I notice on here the compressor housing has a big retainer clip like a big c clip rather than bolts and the brackets. Can i use this or not.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo off a truck-1.jpg   Turbo off a truck-2.jpg   Turbo off a truck-5.jpg   Turbo off a truck-3.jpg   Turbo off a truck-4.jpg  

Last edited by bumpin_records; 10-17-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a Holset 35. The short answer is no. The pressure ratio will not match an LS1. Do a search, there are tons of questions on this turbo and using it.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks ill scrape it dayum lol
Old 10-17-2006, 05:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bumpin_records
a friend of mind just dropped of a turbo he saw laying around at work brand new. Its a Holset turbo and ther are no ar numbers on the compressor or turbine housing. What im getting at is can this turbo be used if the housing was changed? How can i tell what size compressor and turbine wheel is it its a standard bearing center section. here are a few pictures of it he told me if i can use it i can have it. i have access to different compressor and turbine housing. I notice on here the compressor housing has a big retainer clip like a big c clip rather than bolts and the brackets. Can i use this or not.
i have seen them used a lot on mustang build ups... definitly not what you wold want.. but "works"
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

yeah its a hoset hx40 not 35 but im gonna put it on ebay and sell it and use that twards my turbo. i see on there they are going for like 500 and up
Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Finally, someone with some brains. Instead of badgering people about "why can't this work?", just sell it and put the proceeds toward the right part. That attitude will help a lot in your future build.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gametech
Finally, someone with some brains. Instead of badgering people about "why can't this work?", just sell it and put the proceeds toward the right part. That attitude will help a lot in your future build.
thanks im just trying to use any break i can get but i dont wanna go the wrong way. Im in my third simester of welding in collage so i should be ready to fab up my turbo kit soon. cant wait. Oh let me ask you all this is there a web site or fourm for big truck , 18 wheelers i my frind have a lot of stuff i can have if i can sell it for detroit diesel and cummings so i can use the money for my build.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:19 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

thanks im just trying to use any break i can get but i dont wanna go the wrong way. Im in my third simester of welding in collage so i should be ready to fab up my turbo kit soon. cant wait. Oh let me ask you all this is there a web site or fourm for big truck , 18 wheelers i my frind have a lot of stuff i can have if i can sell it for detroit diesel and cummings so i can use the money for my build.
http://seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2958

Butt load of diesel forums there...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
http://seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2958

Butt load of diesel forums there...
thanks alot
Old 10-20-2006, 09:17 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

thanks alot
Not a problem. I had asked because the deisel idea has caught me for later down the road. At some point in my life I will be able to afford to hot rod some very cool vehicles...but the smart man once told me do not be sponored by the bank or the credit card company...

Good luck with selling that thing.

Quick Reply: Turbo off a truck