Anyone want a free Dinner for one at Chilis??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone want a free Dinner for one at Chilis??

I need to borrow a CD-Rom drive and cable for a Dell Latitude CS for about an hour. This computer (Latitude CS) has no floppy or cd-rom bay... a cable plugs into the side. Post up if ya have one and we'll discuss it from there. How hungry are you guys??

HOUSTON AREA

Story behind it....if you care...

My g/f's father threw her's away by accident when she moved to Huntsville for school this semester. Her hd crashed last week and I have no way to install the OS onto her computer. I'm trying to avoid buying one because I have a USB Burner, you just cant use usb cdrom in dos (actually you can, but you need a dos boot disk and alot of time to make it work right...not to mention that she doesnt have the floppy drive either).. Im open to suggestions as well.

you can call me @ 760-207-2596

Last edited by A_W_O_L; 10-17-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

I know SOMEBODY has to be tuning their car with a computer like this one....it's not very fast, but fast enough for that.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

what kinda cable is it?
can you describe the connection from the laptop? (# of pins, shape, etc...)
Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have that same laptop...and the removable floppy drive and cd drive...but im laredo,tx buddy.....sowwy
Old 10-19-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Kewl_Blades:
The connector on the computer (female) is on the side....I would compare it to a mini parallel port. Instead of pins sticking out from the center they are are against the side of the oval, and the center is open.

The cable (male) would have a strip in the center of the connector with the pins on the top and the bottom of the strip in the center

I'll have to get back with you on the # of pins...Im in class right now.

Steveo:
Thanks for the reply bro, It's not a bad laptop...a little slow, but for what my g\f uses it for...it's perfect.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

sorry A_W_O_L, I don't have that cable connection.
do they have a discount electronics store in Houston? Or maybe a Mr. Notebook (or similar company that sells refurbished and older laptops)?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a MicroSolutions Backpack CDRewriter drive, it has both parallel and USB ports on it. You can find 'em on ebay for cheap. They work with DOS / Win95 etc when you load the right parallel port drivers. I think MicroSolutions is dead as a company, but the stuff is out there... see http://www.micro-solutions.com
Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Steveo346....you wouldnt happen to have the driver's cd's for it do you??? I got win 95 installed (long story). I downloaded as many drivers as were listed on Dell's website, but there are quite a few that are not on there. If you have them could I talk you into emailing them as attachments?

Please?

As soon as the USB is up....I can use my USB CDROM and install a better OS

Originally Posted by steveo346
i have that same laptop...and the removable floppy drive and cd drive...but im laredo,tx buddy.....sowwy
Camaroholic Thanks .... I didnt realize that those existed...or used to exist Hindsight is a bitch, I bought the USB Enclosure last week Thanks for the heads up though....very interesting.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you still need something?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

no I got it to work by loading the contents of the Windows CD's to the 2nd partition of the harddrive and a couple of tricks to make the installion to work from the harddrive. But I appreciate the offer. You're not having the same problem are you...I can help out if you do...It's not that bad after I figured it out.

Charles