General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start!!!

Well I get up to go to work this morning and the car won't start. I have had it about two years with no problems. About a year ago I did put in a Red top optima. I turned the key to on and everything is bright and normal. You turn it to start and no starter clicking or anything. I do hear something under the hood, I imagine its the ign relay. Any ideas, I'm thinking the sercurity crap or maybe the actual starter???
Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Teching In

Well here's the latest development.......I read in the manual about the sercurtiy light (in the guages). When I try to start the car the light flashes on and off and when I go back to on after it not starting it continues to flash. The manual says the key is dirty or may be faulty. Its to bad I'm far away from my second set of keys. I'll try the dealership and see what happens.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

It's very possibble that one of the wires that is in your ignition switch has broken. If that's the case you have 2 choices: Go to dealer and purchase new ignition cylinder and two new keys, or if you can just turn off VATS.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Teching In

How do you turn off the VATS????
Old 10-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Well I went to the dealership and got a new key with negitive results..........$35 wasted
Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Well, figured out how to disable the vats...........this sucks, i'm out of town and my buddies have nothing but some crappy tools.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

That same thing happend to me about 2 years ago. All i did was reprogram the keyless entry clicker. It happend a couple of times within that week or two, and it turned out a little later on my clicker just pooped out on me. Let me know if reprograming it worked for you.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Teching In

And by reprograming you mean holding the lock and unlock buttons down at the same time???? I tried that this morning with no luck. I got the reistors i need and I'm about to try that.........i did take an ohm meter to the connecter under the dash and got an open so we'll see
Old 10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, i think you have to also do somthing with the ignition too. I remember i just tried locking and unlocking with that clicker...
Old 10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Teching In

So i got the resistors rigged in and it works.......................................I'm out of town now but i'm going to get a new ignition cylinder when i get back home. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

You might get lucky and be able to repair the wire. Unfortnately most of the time it breaks off at the base of the cylinder. Good luck.