General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 Oil Leaking (but from where!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Oil Leaking (but from where!)

Hey-
So I've been plagued with an LT1 oil leak. Surprised? Probably not.

This one's in a weird place though. The oil is in the grooves on the valve cover (passenger side), and when I run my fingers down the back of the intake manifold there is no leak there, nor on the back of the valve cover.

I replaced the valve cover gasket twice, and the valve cover once... to no avail. I'm going to buy some oil stop leak and put it in tomorrow when I change my oil.

Is it possible that this oil is being sprayed out of the dipstick, or something? I just cant seem to understand where anything could be coming from that fills the grooves on the valve covers..... other than the bolts on the valve covers or the dipstick? I'm running over the valve cover wires... which kind of have a built in washer on the bracket that holds the wires, too.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Jens
Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i highly doubt your leaking oil out the top of the dipstick....im not really familiar with the lt1 motor....you might try asking some of the guys in the lt1 section for a little help, because if your not loosing it through the head seals, but thats where its coming from im a little lost considering this is near the top of the motor and you dont really have oil coming above that lol
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Resident

well if your leaking oil on the passenger side where the dipstick is did you ever check your pcv valve? because i know mine seaps a little oil from the pcv where it goes into the valve cover and kind of makes a mess out of my valve cover, check that out
Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

I'm with him check the gromment around the pcv valve. If it is just a little mist not gobs of oil.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Teching In

You might want to check the oil fill neck. They tend to get loose and start to leak.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Teching In

thanks! i did the following today:

replaced the o ring on the oil fill cap
changed the oil (with some lucas, to maybe hopefully make it stop leaking)

is there any way to identify if its transmission fluid thats leaking-- and not oil? i know the tranny fluid is red.. but even after it gets dirty is it still red?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either PCV grommet as mentioned, o ring on oil fill cap that u replaced, or the little washers that go under the head of the V/C bolts didn't get replaced when the V/C gaskets got changed. I own a LT1 also, not surprised at all u got a gusher.

Quick Reply: LT1 Oil Leaking (but from where!)