General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 motor question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 motor question

I've noticed this but never really thought about it before until yesterday. When sitting at a stop and revving it very little to like like 1500rpm, i notice quite a bit of vibration in the steering wheel, is that normal for these motors?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Probably not. My car has no vibration through the steering wheel at any RPM, its smooth as can be. Perhaps you car needs a tune up or new motor mounts.

Check the motor mounts, and give it a tune up if it hasn't been done recently.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Launching!

yea after looking around online, I think its safe to assume it is the motor mounts, can anyone recommend good ones? Between the clutch master acting shitty and the probably bad motor mounts, this car is pissing me off. Should have kept my 5.0 ha jk but not really that mustang never gave me any problems, this car is problem after problem. Had to replace the pilot bearing, it pratically broke apart, replaced the clutch, slave, throwout, now the master is going bad, pedal stops coming up all the way. Already bled it 4x times with a migthyvac. I have to manually put it back up all the time. Power steering pump leaked twice, replacement pump was under warrenty but I still had to take the time to do it. The caliper slider bolt froze in the bracket, had to replace the bracket, because it was corroded in the hole and the new pin couldnt go in. So yea GM!! I love them. Every time I go to drive the car, I get excited thinking of what might break next.

Yea i just owned this car for little over a year and put on about 12k miles. Also important question, how important is it to replace the motor mounts as soon as possible? I would like to put it off as long as possible, bad idea?

Last edited by quiksilver9531; 10-19-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all replacing motor mounts is no easy task. Second of all if you go with aftermarket motor mounts it will likely make you're problem worse. You're best bet is to try to make the car idle smoother. Replace you're plugs and plug wires, that made a big difference in how much of the car's idle I felt.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, replacing the motor mounts is a pretty big job in itself....i only replaced mine when i had my motor out, otherwise i wouldnt have done them....unless your going to the track alot, or looking at some serious power the stock rubber ones will work just fine...the EASIEST way to change vibration is a computer tune...using efi to change your idle, spark tables ect....the CHEAPEST way to make it smoother, is run some sea foam in your car, change your plugs, wires, and make sure all sensors and hoses are connected and working properly
Old 10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seafoam + !PCV + Heavier oil + New plugs + New plug wires (these were the biggest difference IMO) = MUCH smoother idle