Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 v. rx7

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 944 v. rx7

I've been doing some homework and researching an ls1 swap with these cars (for the rx, both the FC and FD models). I'm starting to get an idea on some of the pros and cons of the different conversions.

Has anyone here driven both, or even seen both? Any impressions you care to share?

I have my subjective preferences, and it seems like in many ways the rx7 FD is the best candidate for non-subjective reasons, but the more info I can get the better. I'll try posting on rx7 and porsche sites too, but figured I shd try my luck here too. TIA.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwood
I've been doing some homework and researching an ls1 swap with these cars (for the rx, both the FC and FD models). I'm starting to get an idea on some of the pros and cons of the different conversions.

Has anyone here driven both, or even seen both? Any impressions you care to share?

I have my subjective preferences, and it seems like in many ways the rx7 FD is the best candidate for non-subjective reasons, but the more info I can get the better. I'll try posting on rx7 and porsche sites too, but figured I shd try my luck here too. TIA.
I've driven both cars with their original engines in them. Is this what you're asking? Your question is a bit unclear.

I was considering an FD/LSX swap for quite awhile so I looked into them. The cramped, and cheaply put together interior changed my mind almost immediately. The RX7 FD's interior is built so poorly, and I felt very confined in the cockpit (6'-1"). As for overall build quality; fit/finish, use of materials etc., the 944 is the winner hands down. The 944 isn't a cadilac on the inside, but it def. fit me better. Looks wise, I really love the look of the FD when done right, but the 944 Turbo models can look pretty sick also. And, if I'm not mistaken, the front turbo clip can swap onto the non-turbo 944's. Can't really speculate on handling as I've never tracked either car. If I had to guess, I'd say they should be very comparable in the handling department.

Tough call IMO, but good luck in your decision.

Mike
Old 10-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Teching In

whats the weight of a 944? and dont they have a rear transaxle? or is that the 928
Old 10-21-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

The 928 has a rear trans axle. Anyone swap an LSx into the 928? That wouls be ****!!My vote is for the 944 over the FD RX-7. I just don't like the RX-7. It handles well and all but I didn't like it when I drove it. The 944 Turbo handled well and I liked the cockpit. Add LS power to the 944 and wow.

Bill
Old 10-21-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the 944 has a rear mounted tranny too, like the C5 vette.
928 S4 had similar power to stock LS1.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

The FD is the Mig 25 of cars. All the soft touches stripped out for performance. It doesn't even have a cup holder. 944 was a much nicer car-you may have trouble finding a nice one to swap. It depends on what you want. Nothing handles like a well driven RX7, but you have to be a pretty good driver to take it at the limit. I've seen them run away from Skylines on the turns of a road course, only to be caught on the straights. The LS swap takes away all its weaknesses. The 944 handles well enough, and you don't have to be as good of a driver to take advantage of it. If you want a racecar, do the RX7. If you want a nice cruiser, do the 944
Old 10-22-2006, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

I didn't realize you were also open to the FC. When it first came out, the automotive press was comparing it to the 944. Personally, I don't see the resemblance, but this would be a combination of the two. Handling wise, it can be made to handle just as well as the FD. As for performance with an equally equipped LS1, it will run away from either car due to it's miniscule weight. The swap is very easy and the parts are readily availible. It's also very well documented. I would have done this swap if I had a spare FC laying around. I just happened to have an FD in my garage. The LS7 swap adresses all of its weaknesses and it's drop dead gorgeous.

If I sound biased against the 944, I'm not. It's a great car, I just don't want chicks saying that I own it because of a lack of ***** size
Old 10-22-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone completed a Reneagade LSx 944?

Yes the 944 has the trans in the rear.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

screw both.

I'd like to get a 930 and swap an LSx/6spd, add a Strosek body kit with 3 pcs rims.

I once lusted after a '95 rx7 that had a body kit/rims. It was near perfect in the looks dept.

Quick Reply: 944 v. rx7