LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wiring for Delteq w/ MSD DIS 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for Delteq w/ MSD DIS 4

Looking to see how others have done this. Following the wiring instructions with the DIS4, the MSD box is powered all the time. This seems to be feeding in from the coils to the switched voltage input on the MSD.
Have you just turned on the MSD box directly from the key switch and cut the line to the coil? Or put a relay on the power to the Delteq?

Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The power feed from the coils turn it on. All MSD box's feed right off the battery and pick up switched voltage to turn on

I kept my DIS-4 all ready to go for my Truck
Old 10-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe something else is messed up then. It looks like the coil is always on. Went over the wiring on the Delteq last night and it's hooked up as their diagram. Even with the key off, there is power on the coils. And the MSD box draws enough current with its switched input on to drain the battery overnight.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yup sounds like some thing is not right. Better go over all the wiring. it is kind of a mind bending task to follw those instuctions for all the coil adapters
Old 10-20-2006, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MSD with the Delteq is a tricky wiring setup. The diagram in the MSD book does not really apply 100% to our setup on a F-body. The coil side will have 4 wires for each coil x 4 (16 total) and the MSD side will have 3 wires for each coil x 4 (12 total). You will have to pair 4 of the wires on the coil side. It sounds like you might have an additional problem. I would figure out what is causing the drain on the system first. The two items work great together and make the idle very smooth on a LT1.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/492910-just-update-delteq-setup-pics.html
Old 10-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

That's a nice clean install. I have the K&N CAI which blocks off the location you are using to mount it. I used to have the coils on the valve covers and just switched to mounting it on the rad to free up some space.
Think I might have found it. The pink wire from the OptiBox is connected directly to the battery. With just the Delteq that works fine, no problems with draining the battery. It looks like that should be going to a switched source.
The drain on the system was from the MSD box being turned on all the time due to being fed through the coils probably from this pink wire.
The MSD does seem to make it idle better.

Quick Reply: Wiring for Delteq w/ MSD DIS 4