Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics or suggestions on mounting a Mondo Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics or suggestions on mounting a Mondo Valve?

So a friend of mine gave me a free Mondo valve for my help and damn if this sucker ain't huge. I am running a relatively stock ATI setup with the twin intercoolers and stock kit plumbing. So i was wondering if anyone has tried to install a Vortech Mondo valve on the stock setup? If so, where did you mount it and god please tell me you have pictures.

I'd like to move the mounting point up to the top of the plumbing closer to the throttle blade. But this sucker is so huge I'm not sure where.

I'm also thinking about selling this brand new(never used) Mondo valve either on tech or ebay and using what I get there to buy an ATI race ready valve. They look smaller and easier to mount, but heck the mondo valve looked small in pics but is huge in real life. Is the ATI smaller? I can't seem to find one under $400 and that seems like an awefully expensive bypass valve.

Also does anyone have any video/sound clips of what a vortech mondo valve sounds like?

Any suggestions and especially pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Busch
Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell it and get something that will go where the stock stuff is if you really need to change it. You arent going to pick up anything with it except a lot of noise and maybe .2psi if you have the old butterfly/choke pull off bypass.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not really looking to gain power out of this mod, although I don't even have the current black ATI butterfly valve bypass, I have the old grey one that I think was an OEM part on a ford or something. It visually does not look very tight and I'm sure I'm losing some boost through that valve.

If not the mondo, what are my alternatives? Is the new ATI butterfly enough of an improvement over my current one to justify $160? It didn't look like it. The mondo does look like a much more solid unit which is why i'm considering the swap. But if you feel there is a better unit out there, let me know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike
Old 10-20-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

I have never heard mine, but it dumps directly back into the inlet of the s-trim which I heard was the quietest install. Then again, right now I'm only dumping 7.5# max - the Mondo probably just yawns and opens a crack to take care of that little chore...

Jim
Old 10-20-2006, 01:52 PM
kp
8 Second Club

It will be hard to get the mondo to dump back into the hat and fit it in the stock ATI twin location easily, the mondo (or any bypass) open is loud as hell. Its the most annoying part of driving around and there is a lot of annoying stuff on the car

If you were running a ton of boost and needed a valve to bleed off that much air thats one thing but putting it on just because you have it seems like a lot of work.

I have seen one mounted on the 'Y' pipe right at the blower outlet and ran a hose back to the inlet but the hole in the inlet hat is pretty small so there is no real advantage of doing it except a little better sealing. I switched my old 'grey' bypass to a turboXS one years ago and didnt really pick up anything but .2 or so psi if that. Main reason I changed it was it didnt look like it was going to fall apart like the ATI did Here is the turboXS bypass..
Old 10-20-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is how i had the Mondo mounted on my setup.. back when i had the SC setup..... doesnt do ya much good though since i had the big FMIC

Kyle
Old 10-20-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know I may keep "old grey". but I blew one of the welds on my ATI airbox so I figured since I have to go get that welded it my be time to weld on a better bypass. Only thing is that huge mondo does really sit well off the side of the airbox.

So that's sort of why I posed the question. If I need to go to a welder I might want to upgrade a few parts now.

By the way I'm not worried about rerouting into the inlet hat. I vent to the atmosphere and really like the sound of it. That's one of the reasons I wanted to move it to the top of the engine bay. If I vent it in the stock location at idle it's blowing air right onto the pavement below. If I'm over any kind of dust or lose dirt it flys right up into the engine bay I just cleaned. I know it's sort of a pansy reason, but this isn't a track car so dirt is an issue.

kp, did you like the proformance of that turboXS bypass? It's funny the guy who i helped and who gave me the mondo originally had bought a turboXS BOV that looked identical to the one you have pictured. Except it was a BOV and stayed closed at idle which I suggested he remove before it caused any damage. Just curious if your TXS is a real Bypass and how much you paid for it.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-20-2006, 03:06 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Its a bypass valve, they sell blow off vlaves and bypass valves. It was like 100.00 on eBay I think when I bought it but the price has gone way up and I think they are close to 200 now. They give you some spring shims if you want to keep it closed like a BOV at idle but using it as a bypass you dont need them..

You can take the hose going off the bypass and put a little air filter in it and it wont kick up any dust really and you get the noise if thats what you like.

Really for it what it costs you are probbaly better off just upgrading to the newer ATI piece..

Quick Reply: Pics or suggestions on mounting a Mondo Valve?