Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod Progression....Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mod Progression....Any Advice?

I am helping my brother start to mod his 99WS6. So far the car simply has a K&N filter, Borla Cat-Back, and 3.73 Gears. We have decided to go in this order...help us avoid mistakes if you see one. Thanks. SLP Lid, Bellow,Tune,LTs,ORY,TB..here is where we are not sure.....intake?..cam?..suspension?..Stall? Whats the best route to go after those first 6 things? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the order *I* thinky alls hould go now

You already have:
filter
cat-back
gears

What you need next:
LID!!!!
LT headers/ORY
LS6 intake
Mail/dyno tune
Stall (stalls need tob e matched with your set-up so doint it right off the bat isnt always the best idea)
Old 10-21-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

pretty much what tainted said plus p/p tb.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

why ya gotta be like that josh? rainin on my parade :p
Old 10-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

After you do the lid go straight for the cam/springs/pushrods. You pick up 30 hp minimum even without headers. You'll have a killer sound and a whole new outlook on the car.

What's your vision of the car in the end???

I ended up bolting on a pair of turbos, the mod bug has finally taken it's full toll on my wallet, but GOD it's worth every penny.

cliffnotes: go for the cam, enjoy the process.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
I am helping my brother start to mod his 99WS6. So far the car simply has a K&N filter, Borla Cat-Back, and 3.73 Gears. We have decided to go in this order...help us avoid mistakes if you see one. Thanks. SLP Lid, Bellow,Tune,LTs,ORY,TB..here is where we are not sure.....intake?..cam?..suspension?..Stall? Whats the best route to go after those first 6 things? Thanks.
No, not that order. You need to tune the car once it's more than slightly modified and you don't want to pay for the tune more than once.

Doing modifications piecemeal like that is a bad idea. You'll have no direction, no plan, you'll end up buying parts over and over and having to pay for multiple tunes.

It's okay to mess around with a few bolt-ons but once you get more serious, you need an end goal in mind. You'll need to do the mods together, as a package, so that they work well with each other and so that you can tune it once, at the end, and be done.

Talk to all the vets on this board and every one of them will tell you that you need a coherant plan of action, with an end goal, before you do mod #1 if you don't want to waste a ton of money.

Right now your plan looks like:

Lid, Bellow, tune

LT's, ORY, TB (oops, need another tune)

Intake and Cam? (oops, need another tune)

Heads? (oops, need another cam cuz now it doesn't match my heads. And need another tune)

Okay, now I want to go turbo so I have to throw all this crap out and start over from scratch.

etc etc etc.

Yeah, yeah it sounds harsh but you'll thank me someday.

/been there
Old 10-22-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

add a 25% underdrive pulley to the list
Old 10-22-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

ehh pulley wont gain much, thats one of those last bolt on mod knida things. if you do a cam swap and you gotta take it off anyhow then go for it but otherwise, put the money else where
Old 10-24-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Black I hear your point..and I havent overlooked that. But not everyone can afford to buy all that **** at once and then tune. Maybe in a perfect world. He needs a tune anyway because whoever put in the gears never tuned it for them so the Speedo and shifts are horrible. More specifically...whats the scoop on the TBs for LSX cars? I know on LT1s like I had its a "down the road" type mod that isnt holding you back right away. I guess what I am asking is what are the LS1s weakest points?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Oh...and as far as what direction. Its a daily driver that will see in town, some highway, some strip, and regular play on the street. No plans for autocross etc. So he is looking for "fair" manners from the car, but wants it to sound pretty mean. (He wants a very noticable cam sound, and yes I have tried to make sure he doesnt go only on sound...but Im not sure he'll listen. That he may learn on his own.)
Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

lid, LT's. TD's, intake/tb, tune, or get a tune after h/c, it all depends on what u want the car to end up having after all is said and done.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Black I hear your point..and I havent overlooked that. But not everyone can afford to buy all that **** at once and then tune.
Then keep it to the minor bolt-ons and suspension stuff until you can afford it. Otherwise you'll be paying for things more than once, which is an even bigger problem if, as you say, he can't afford it!

But of course even minor bolt-ons must be selected with the end goal in site. What I mean is that you need to get out a spreadsheet or paper and write down every mod you intend to do. Then you can pick out the parts you can buy and not do a tune yet. It should be a big enough list to keep you busy for a while.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
ehh pulley wont gain much, thats one of those last bolt on mod knida things.
It reduces mass, so the car will rev faster.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe a few [LS1TECH Sponsors] professional tuning shops offer a deal where you pay a certain amount once for the first tune, then future adjustments are free .