Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finish Line Performance, naperville Il

Old 10-22-2006, 03:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Finish Line Performance, naperville Il

Has anyone purchased a short block from finish line performance? Just wandering how are they engines holding up cause a friend of mine is looking to purchase a engine from them.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make some serious race engines that last, FLP is the only place that I trust. I towed my vette 380 miles for Dan Bills to work on it. Paul
Old 10-22-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I live very close to them and know a lot of people who have went there since I was in high school (14+ years ago), and haven't heard too many complaints about their finished product. I've been there a couple times for exhaust work and had good experiences. My only complaint is both times I've been in for work they've bad mouthed other peoples products I've had on my car. Saying their stuff is better etc. Maybe it is, but it's bad P.R. and it pissed me off.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only complaint is both times I've been in for work they've bad mouthed other peoples products I've had on my car. Saying their stuff is better etc. Maybe it is, but it's bad P.R. and it pissed me off.
Good ole Mitch..Had a similar experience there. Didn't bother me though. They built me a real nice trans.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:36 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

FLP has Midwest engine tech build their motors (though you purchase them through FLP) and they are very very good, I speak from experience and also others experiences. They built my 408 and ported my Dart heads. I make very respectable HP on a D1SC, and Dan Bills is an extremely knowledgeable individual. Several well known memebers here have him tune their car, and for good reason. FLP has a very dedicated customer base, you don't hear about them as much as say Speed Inc, but they are always busy and turn out some very bad *** cars.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TS6
FLP has Midwest engine tech build their motors (though you purchase them through FLP) and they are very very good, I speak from experience and also others experiences. They built my 408 and ported my Dart heads. I make very respectable HP on a D1SC, and Dan Bills is an extremely knowledgeable individual. Several well known memebers here have him tune their car, and for good reason. FLP has a very dedicated customer base, you don't hear about them as much as say Speed Inc, but they are always busy and turn out some very bad *** cars.

WOW!!! Scott at midwest is building me a 370ci motor as we speak. sould be done in a week or two. Scott gave me a tour and everything is done in house. His shop is like 15 minutes away from my house. The price is less thank flp but i didnt know they was doing flp engines. Well small world.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Let's just say I wish I had spent the extra money and waited the extra month to let them tune my car instead of Speed, Inc.
The following users liked this post:
ws6jbarry (10-17-2019)
Old 10-22-2006, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Let's just say I wish I had spent the extra money and waited the extra month to let them tune my car instead of Speed, Inc.
Bold statement...should back it up with facts.

What didnt you like about your Speed Inc tune?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

My car was on the dyno for all of 3 runs. Mid/upper range is good, but they only dyno-tuned from 2800-6400. I wanted it from 2000-6800 or so. Low-end is terrible, as are the surging issues down low. It is like an on/off switch at 2800RPMs. I'm only running a 224/228 cam, it should be making good power almost 1000RPMs lower than it does. I might as well have gone with an even bigger cam if this is how they tune the bottom end

Even after talking to Larry, he told me all of that is normal solely based on the fact that I have a cam in the car. I asked him to take the car for a drive with the tuner and do some street tuning, and they said they would, but when I picked it up all he had to say is the above.

I've talked to a few other guys who have had the same problem and had someone else tune their car afterwards and get rid of all of the low-end problems, and he had a much bigger cam than I (GM-847 on an LT1). Couldn't go down the road at 30mph in 5th until he had MadZ28 tune his car again.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

I'm also debating having FLP build me a 347. They have some pretty good pricing with their upgraded options. Not sure if I'm going that route or just having my block honed out to 3.905 and upgrading pistons/rods.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:56 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Dan is a great tuner, thats for sure. I have a fairly large cam in my car, and a blower, and it idles at 900 rpm or so just fine and is very driveable. Drives like stock until you get in it. I took it to the track and literally just backed off the trailer, drove around to warm it up, staged, pushed the skinny pedal and ran 10.4 at 135, going light on the throttle until late second gear (thought it would spin). All on pump gas too.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

well i know for sure FLP will tune my car. I have seen some amazine results there
Old 10-22-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin_records
Has anyone purchased a short block from finish line performance? Just wandering how are they engines holding up cause a friend of mine is looking to purchase a engine from them.
DO not go there , brang my 1969 camaro there, and they messed it up putting on new heads, ran terrible, after i picked my car up there was loud banging coming from engine, had to call a tow truck , i found out they put wrong rocker arms on and reused all the locking nuts, some of them came lose, what a nightmare , my experience Very UNKNOWLEDGEABLE, i will never recommend them ,i would rather get someone off of craigslist thats how bad of an experience i had
Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Holy 11 year old thread Batman!!!

(To the day of the original post!)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, no kidding. Did they offer to make it right?

I called FLP just before I did my 9" a few years ago to get a price on installing a set of 3.90s. They wanted $1100....lol. Cam install they wanted double what any other shop was quoting. They are located in a fairly wealthy area with a high population so I'm sure they have their niche of big builds. Don't think they want anything to do with small **** anymore.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Sounds like a "boutique" operation, for customers with more money than common sense and/or brains

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finish Line Performance, naperville Il