Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ATTN: Detailing Xperts: Follow up to Compound Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATTN: Detailing Xperts: Follow up to Compound Polish?

Swirls here. I've heard some good things about Meguiars no. 80... I was wondering if this plan would fit well:

1. Dawn wash, claybar, dry.

2. PC: Orange pad with Meguiars no. 80 Cutting Polish

3. PC: White pad with ???

4. Meguiars no.7 Finishing Polish/Glaze by hand or grey pad

5. Meguiars no. 26 Hi-Tech wax or NXT Sealant ??? by hand

First question: What would be a good follow-up, finishing polish, to the no. 80 to leave the paint smooth and free of ANY micromarring with the white pad? I'm trying to stick with the Meg's line. What's a good finisher here at this point with the white pad?

Second question: After all this hard work (I'm looking at two or three days straight here), would it be foolish to seal it in with a carnauba wax (durability concern)? Would I be better off using NXT to seal it in better? No. 26 looks so damn great, but I want the hard work to be adequately sealed, cured, and protected. Thanks fellas.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I know, Meguiar's #80 is not cutting polish, but the speed glaze. It's a popular follow-up product to use with Meguiar's DACP (#83). The #83/80 combo is very popular and easy to use, and addresses up to moderate scratching. I suggest setting up your cutting step to go with #83 instead of #80 with the same pad, and set a light/no abrasive pad up with #80 as a finisher. Colors are different for every pad manufacturer, but if I'm not mistaken, the white pad tends to be the finishing pad. Opt for a light abrasive pad if it doesn't clean up the haze you may get from #83.

I can't speak to sealing products because I stray from Meguiar's when it comes to that step. For durability, go ahead and go for the sealant. Waxes are relatively high-maintenance and need frequent touch-ups. The exception being Collinite of course, but that isn't a Meguiar's product.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
As far as I know, Meguiar's #80 is not cutting polish, but the speed glaze. It's a popular follow-up product to use with Meguiar's DACP (#83). The #83/80 combo is very popular and easy to use, and addresses up to moderate scratching. I suggest setting up your cutting step to go with #83 instead of #80 with the same pad, and set a light/no abrasive pad up with #80 as a finisher. Colors are different for every pad manufacturer, but if I'm not mistaken, the white pad tends to be the finishing pad. Opt for a light abrasive pad if it doesn't clean up the haze you may get from #83.

I can't speak to sealing products because I stray from Meguiar's when it comes to that step. For durability, go ahead and go for the sealant. Waxes are relatively high-maintenance and need frequent touch-ups. The exception being Collinite of course, but that isn't a Meguiar's product.
Thanks... Reason the above plan has no. 80 paired with the orange pad is that I've heard no. 83 is a borderline rotary buffer product... Effective, but hard to breakdown with a Porter Cable. Any more thoughts?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Thanks... Reason the above plan has no. 80 paired with the orange pad is that I've heard no. 83 is a borderline rotary buffer product... Effective, but hard to breakdown with a Porter Cable. Any more thoughts?
#83 (DACP) was actually designed for Meguiar's version of the PC7424 if I'm not mistaken, and it shows. You gotta be willing to take it up to speed 5 with a bit of pressure though.

Good luck!