LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car will not perform

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Car will not perform

Im having serious problems. My car will not perform they way it is supposed to. With all the mods listed below I have only run a best of 13.77. With all my mods my car is supposed to be running in the twelves or very close to that easily.

Cars with intake, shorties, exhaust and no cam are running way than me. I witnessed it first hand. I have all that plus a built tranny, 3000 stall, ported and polished heads, full tune, and all the suspension goods. Something in my setup is costing me close to a full second in the quarter.

I do a have a slight high rpm miss and i have a new opti that I am going to put in plus I'm cutting a 2.1 60 ft time due to alot of tire spin. Does anyone here think that with a new opti and stickier tires i will run in the 12s?

The first thing i did on the car was make it a 355 along with the shorties, exhaust, intake and msd ignition and suspension work. The car went 13.9. Seems a bit slow doesn't it. Then I had the heads, cam, and full tune put in. Car dynoed 277 before tune 309 after. Car ran 13.77 in the quarter. This was terrible for all my mods. So I noticed a high rpm miss and tire spin at the track that time. My tranny broke a few days later. I had it fully rebuilt and got a 3000 stall converter. Took it to the track this week experienced more tire spin and the slight high rpm miss that i thought was due to the tranny. Hopefully it will be fixed when i install the msd opti. This time the car ran 13.77 again with a 2.1 60 ft. Same as before.

Does anyone have any idea what can be killing me? I figure I'm losing about a full second at the track.

Last edited by C_Rules; 10-22-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

what was your mph on that run?

what are your cam specs?

who did your heads?

Have you scanned the car for problems/codes?

what kind of a tune was it?

need more info
Old 10-22-2006, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

what was your mph on that run? 102

what are your cam specs? 210/224 112 lsa crane 227

who did your heads? very reputable and race proven shop

Have you scanned the car for problems/codes? not yet car runs fine day to day only noticeable problem is a high rpm miss (most likely due to opti)

what kind of a tune was it? full street strip tune with the wideband on a dynojet
Old 10-22-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

I did not get what I expected to.
With all the mods I have and I did a 8.8 in the 1/8 mile 1.9 60'

I have intake port matched heads, polished TB, TB bypass ACCel coil,
Old 10-22-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C_R, in my opinion, that Miss is right away a "DUH!" for me. It may run fine, but it's not running how it should, which is clear, but 'fine' just doesn't quite cut it Should be PERFECT heh.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok well yes definitely fix the miss or whatever that is first.

Did you have that when do did the dyno? 309 with heads/cam/intake all that other stuff is really weak. Maybe it was just whatever that problem was, but if not I would start look at other things.

For one thing that cam is incredibly small to be running especially with ported heads. You're killing yourself at least partly there.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
C_R, in my opinion, that Miss is right away a "DUH!" for me. It may run fine, but it's not running how it should, which is clear, but 'fine' just doesn't quite cut it Should be PERFECT heh.

so formula you think once i put that new opti in I'll be getting into the twelves or right around there? i knew the high rpm miss was a problem but it only happens close to the 1000 ft. mark after the car shifts for the second time. i already have the new opti hopefully that solves something because my et makes me i'm losing a second somewhere.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's a big place to start IMO. Motor isn't what it is w/o spark, we all know this
Old 10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you need to move over to some 3.73's or some 4.10. That cam is more for stock applications with boltons. Need to find out what #'s ur heads are flowing. What kind of converter you got?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Ok well yes definitely fix the miss or whatever that is first.

Did you have that when do did the dyno? 309 with heads/cam/intake all that other stuff is really weak. Maybe it was just whatever that problem was, but if not I would start look at other things.

For one thing that cam is incredibly small to be running especially with ported heads. You're killing yourself at least partly there.
when i dyno'd the car yes there was a miss but id didn't happen while the car was getting dyno'd. Actually I was messing you guys up the miss happens usually at low rpms when the car is being driven for the first couple of minutes and then it completely stops.

This is what actually happens at the track. I put the car in Drive stall the car up to about 2500 since i dont want to get even more tire spin then i do now and then floor it off the line. There is a bunch of tire spin and a little fishtail action of course because i dont have a sticky tire and i didnt baby it off the line. The car proceeds down the track and shifts at 6000 fine then it keeps pulling and when it is about to shift a second time i hear that terrible noise that can only come from the rev limiter and after a little bit of that the car then shifts but at that point im already just a few feet from the finish. So i have a rev limiter problem that only shows up after the car shifts a second time.

And for the cam yup i know its real small and I'll be getting a bigger one once i install the new opti. I do know there is someone here who has hit 12s with that cam but for my application i really do need a bigger cam. I just wanted to add though that the cam is capable of doing better than a 13.77.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
I think you need to move over to some 3.73's or some 4.10. That cam is more for stock applications with boltons. Need to find out what #'s ur heads are flowing. What kind of converter you got?

Its a 3000 stall converter from a non sponsor they do a lot of stuff for ihra guys.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like the timing is way off and when the computer kicks in, it can fix it. When the RPMs get too high the computer can't advance/retard it anymore because it's reached it's max.... that's just my small theory for the morning.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by C_Rules
when i dyno'd the car yes there was a miss but id didn't happen while the car was getting dyno'd. Actually I was messing you guys up the miss happens usually at low rpms when the car is being driven for the first couple of minutes and then it completely stops.

This is what actually happens at the track. I put the car in Drive stall the car up to about 2500 since i dont want to get even more tire spin then i do now and then floor it off the line. There is a bunch of tire spin and a little fishtail action of course because i dont have a sticky tire and i didnt baby it off the line. The car proceeds down the track and shifts at 6000 fine then it keeps pulling and when it is about to shift a second time i hear that terrible noise that can only come from the rev limiter and after a little bit of that the car then shifts but at that point im already just a few feet from the finish. So i have a rev limiter problem that only shows up after the car shifts a second time.

And for the cam yup i know its real small and I'll be getting a bigger one once i install the new opti. I do know there is someone here who has hit 12s with that cam but for my application i really do need a bigger cam. I just wanted to add though that the cam is capable of doing better than a 13.77.
You might just need to tune your shift points better to avoid hitting the limiter then.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

yeah, looks like i'll be making a trip back to the tuner.

Quick Reply: Car will not perform