General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hatch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch Issue

Well, I kind of have a unique problem with the hatch, When I bought the car, it had obviously been broken into. All the locks dont match, but in particular (to this situation) the hatch lock. The hatch is also bent up slightly from somebody trying to pry it open. Now, I cannot unlock it obviously so for a while I just had to use the pop button inside the glove box.

The car has been up on jacks for a month while I fix a few things, and I go to pop the hatch and nothing. Now sometimes it does take alittle time, so I pressed the button a few more times. Still, nothing. I actually tried pressing the button rapidly for a good 60 seconds before I gave up. I can hear a click, but the hatch doesnt budge. Does anybody know what this sounds like, and/or more importantly, how to fix it/ get the damn hatch open? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have everything bent back into place, add a second spring this is common with the fbody.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if tis a 98 its prone to the spring thing
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its a 94, and I kind of figured it would be the spring as I have been doing alittle reading up. But, that still leaves me with the issue of getting the hatch open TO change the spring, unless I'm missing something?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

may have to pry it open