Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 132 Likes on 113 Posts

Default LQ4 Swap

Just curious if anyone has put a LSx style engine into a mid 90s G-series van. I have already done a TPI swap into one and a LT1 swap into an Astro. Both were straight forward. A cammed LQ4 with ported heads (maybe turbo) and 4L80E would be awesome in the sub 5,000 lbs shorty van that I have.

Last edited by Fast355; 10-25-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you got the SBC to LSx motor mounts it wouldnt be a problem. TPIs and LT1s and all SBCs all use the same motor mounts. new Gen III and Gen IV motors use diffrent motor mount positions.

you could also either modify some truck mounts, or get the universal kit, its just a C shaped piece and some flat pieces that attach to the cross member, then you weld the C piece on where ever you need it. physicaly getting the motor in the vehichle is the easy part.. wiring and such is ALWAYS the hard part.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey.. I was thinking of asking the same question. I have a 79 SWB Pathfinder 4x4 converted VAN.. and it is time for a new engine..!

After doing my Chevelle, I don't think the mount are a problem. Standard BRP or S&P styles will work. It is the width of the engine itself that may be the problem. I think the LSx need about 2-4 inches more in width.. the rear of the engine will be very close unless we move the engine forward.. (I would have to mod the Transfercase mounts and the driveshaft if anything moves either way. Not sure if the Exhaust / Headers would clear the frame.

I don't have much room there.. cause on the 4x4 conversion. they beefed up the frame with 1/8" steet to re-enforce the uni-body frame. The Truck high Alternator will work out ok. but the AC compressor could be a problem with my steel frame and x-member. (cut and weld time.)

mine swap will depend on the Calif Smog law and if I want to take it on to make it legit..!

keep me posted on you research..
Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 132 Likes on 113 Posts

I am itching to do a STR (mid mount turbo) 6.0 something terrible.

The weiand 142 on the TBI 350 runs so darn well and the torque could pull a house behind it. Just doesn't have enough HP for my taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIaLtE_U1I

Quick Reply: LQ4 Swap