Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Thinking of doing some EGT measurments at each primary- thermocouple people inside

Old 10-24-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of doing some EGT measurments at each primary- thermocouple people inside

Manifolds are cheap enough, $10 a pair.

I want to drill and tap them them for thermocouples and check out the EGT's at each primary. I'm interested because, beleive it or not, using a radar heat gun, my #7 cylinder is the coolest behind the #1 cylinder (prob due to fan air flow).

Id really like to see the EGT's of each cylinder under part throttle cruise. I dont expect the EGT to be that high under part throttle, but I really dont know what to expect. Gears are tall so RPM is low and there are some decent hills around here. Its also almost 6000lbs so.. yeah, there is some load there.

If I can get this going, Id definately get an HP tuner and go to town to get the best MPG 6.0 out there

...actually its just an engineer's curriousity and the benifits wont come near the cost.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you plan on getting better gas mileage? Are you planning on enriching the AFR to get cooler cylinder temps? If not, how so? Just curious.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
How do you plan on getting better gas mileage? Are you planning on enriching the AFR to get cooler cylinder temps? If not, how so? Just curious.
just fine tuning every cylinder. it wont be anything ground-breaking, but if i can monitor EGT's for each cylinder, I can lean out each cylinder.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

What question do you have?

http://www.omega.com/

There are some usb based type k loggers that you could use. My question for you is this: The highest egt is at stoich. Your ecu under closed loop will maintain stoich as an average read by your O2 sensor in the collected exhaust. How will you know if one cylinder is rich or lean and how will you adjust it? Colder than stoich could fall on either side.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by andereck
What question do you have?

http://www.omega.com/

There are some usb based type k loggers that you could use. My question for you is this: The highest egt is at stoich. Your ecu under closed loop will maintain stoich as an average read by your O2 sensor in the collected exhaust. How will you know if one cylinder is rich or lean and how will you adjust it? Colder than stoich could fall on either side.
i wouldn't be near stoic for max mpg. I'm not sure of the capabilities of the tuners, but I'd have a wideband and be shooting for around 17:1 ish if i had to guess. Stoich isn't the hottest either, i dont think. I think just rich or just lean of it is the hottest, hence rich max torque or lean max torque
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Well stoich is indeed the hottest which you'll find out if you go through with your project.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Why don't you get an LM-1 or LC-1 and program the analog outputs to fool your computer into running leaner? You could bump up the AFR by .2 or so and do a drive cycle and check mileage and driveability. Rinse and repeat.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

interesting. i thought stoich was just the fastest burn... its been a while.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just curious as to how it running lean wouldn't cause higher EGT's.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Less fuel burned=less heat.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you're running lean, don't you get hot spots on your plugs though? That, to me, means it's running hotter. Also, by that statement, wouldn't that mean running richer would cause higher EGT's because more fuel is burning, when actually there is too much to be efficiently burned causing leftover to cool the EGT's?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Also, by that statement, wouldn't that mean running richer would cause higher EGT's because more fuel is burning, when actually there is too much to be efficiently burned causing leftover to cool the EGT's?
You answered your own question. Richer mixtures are cooler because the mixture is richer than stoich to reduce the opportunity for detonation and to ensure the oxygen available in the cylinder is completely used for combustion. In essence the excess fuel is a coolant.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Got it. Done hijacking. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Before the wide scale adoption of wide bands many people relied on realtime egt gauges or logging to tune by. Hopefully they weren't tuning from stoich but a point much richer than stoich. They would often tune "up" to an abitrary reading knowing that as the temperature rose they were progressively getting leaner. Most tuners would have a mental cutoff point that they would not try to exceed. As stoich, whether they knew it or not, is the temperature ceiling the tune wouldn't progress to the tipover point where it would once again start to fall as it got leaner unless there was some kind of fuel system failure. We in the automotive performance world don't operate our engines at high load near stoich on purpose, though pilots often do. Pilots with fuel trim control often operate the engine to maximum egt and then trim the fuel richer or leaner so the cylinder head temp is within a certain range so as not to overheat the engine or detonate. They can trim the engine for maximum economy while still mantaining a particular airspeed.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Got it. Done hijacking. Thanks.
I don't think you were hijacking. Your questions are relevant.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I have always wanted to do this on an Ls1....Tuning each cylinder via EGT would allow for greater efficency....how much? Probably not much at all. It would certainly help in an N2O application however.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

14.7 is just an emissions number. My friend runs 17.5:1 in his car and gets spectacular milage.
The reason leaner = melted pistons is because the slower burn gives the piston more time to absorb the heat, even if the max temp is lower.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

An interesting idea Trey, I am also curious to see some data from it. I would be leary of running a 6000 lb truck @ 17:1 though. I am going to run the IR thermo on each cylinder of our boosted formula SAE engine once we finish tuning.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

17;1 at no load is fine. EGTs wont build like WOT. At cruise your making 20-40 hp or so

Search this Thread