Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL on spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OIL on spark plugs

I have been fighting oil consumption for a while and trying to stop the spark plugs from getting oil on them and fouling. I see oil on the threads and they look very dark. anyhow, I have replaced the valve guide seals and eliminated the pcv to diagnose the oil problem. also I just coated the rocker arm bolts with some cooper gasket sealer to see if this is the problem.
I went ahead and changed the plugs again.

I did have RPM do a compression test/leak down test and they said that the rings were ok.
it still eats up a little oil though is not as pronounced as before. I think the seals were a contributing factor.

I dont know whats going on. what else can it be?????

thanks
David
Old 10-24-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have pics of the plugs? Do see smoke from the exhaust?
Old 10-24-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick and dirty check, open the TB blade and look into the intake with a flashlight, is it dry or covered with oil?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No smoke from the exhaust anymore after the valve seals were replaced.
the PCV is disconnected and only 2 breathers are installed, the intake is clean.

I am now ruling out the threads from the rocker bolts.
if there is still oil in the plugs, then the rings are bad.
all 8 of them had some oil.
what is the chance that the 8 rings are shot?
I did break in the motor in properly, I think that the build was not a very good one though. I did had a lot of problems with it since the start of things.

what I am thinking to do is buy a newer block (2004) LS1 and transfer all my internal to the new block after it has been machined. new rings will be put in, hopefully this will make it run as it should.
I am doing the above next year. I think that the 98 block is damaged since a valve dropped which made me rebuild the motor in the first place, I just think that the builder could have inspected it a bit closer and recomended to buy a new block.
also I dont know if he even installed it right. I have my doubts.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I installed the PRC LS6 heads (cam only), I had oil on at least 5 of my spark plugs (from both banks). After I installed the new heads, I now only have oil on the passenger side plugs. I think its probably the valve seals and not the rings.

Kevin
Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you think I need to replace the seals again? I just did it this year.
they are the ones that look like little barrels right?
they go in the valve and need a socket to seat them in properly.
is that what you think it is? I dont know how they could have gone bad so fast. I dont even drive the car that much.
on another note. do you have any problems with the oil on the plugs?
any SES light showing. I am throwing the codes that the O2s are not changing fast enough, but I think that is a whole diferent problem in of itself.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you replace both the intake and exhaust seals? If so, are you sure you used the proper seals (exhaust on exhaust, intake on intake)? If you put intake seals on the exhaust valves you could have easily melted or warped them to cause the leaking oil.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no I just replaced the seals that look like little barrels, the ones that go on the valve stem after taking the locks and springs off. does anyone have a picture of the other type of seal? I had seals that looked the same. 16 of them total.
David
Old 10-24-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's the ones I'm talking about. Were they all dark brown? The dark ones are exhaust seals and are usually all you get when replacing your seals because they will work for both intake and exhaust.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, gunnar at patriot performace sent me those to replace them. I dont know where else to turn.
anyhow I will check this in the morning, I have to go to bed.
David
thanks in advance.;
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

As a side note, I wouldn't use copper gasket to seal the threads on the rocker bolts. I would say the best bet is to use some thread sealer with teflon as I've heard some decent success with that.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man I read the last post to late, I used coper sealant. I was going to use some thread sealer like the blue kind but it seemed to me that it would not seal too good, so given that the coper sealant is used for creating gaskets, I went with it and smeared a little on the threads of the bolts and installed them, they are curing overnight and tomorrow I will run the car and see later iin the month what happens. I would think it will hold up right with the sealant I used because its supposed to be durable at above those temps and it is strong even on presurized enviroments.
anyhow wish me luck with this.

on a side not I used the NGK tr55 out of the box and just checked that the gao was the same on all of them. I think it was .055, RPM had put in some tr66 becuase they were trying to fight knock and was unsuccesful with the tunning. at the end it still came out the same as it went in. one of this days we will figure this car out.