Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Major Oil Leak

I just installed my new textralia clutch and noticed that my old clutch had oil on it...i checkd the rear main and all around it...everything was bone dry...i then noticed a shiny film around where the crank shaft bolts go....I proceeded on with install, and added locktite to the bolts....Now, today I remembered the oil was coming from the main hole in the crank shaft..I contacted my builder and he said the freeze plug had probablybeen jarred...He suggested to clean everything up real good and put some j b weld around the plug until he gets me a new one...Anyone else have any other suggestions?....I already put the tranny back in and have driven around 50 miles with new clutch before I realized about the frezze plug issue...I don't want to get oil on this clutch and ruin a 1000.00 clutch....
Old 10-24-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

J/B weld can crack because it is so brittle, I have had success several times now by using a high quality RTV around the edge of the plug. Let it cure really well, at least 24 hours. And make sure there is no oil whatsoever on or near the plug when you appl y the RTV. The best RTV I have found is made for/by Isuzu for use on there diesel engines to seal the valve covers and oil pans, that stuff is amazing. You can get it at any GM dealer (Duramax application) that crap is almost like tire rubber when it cures.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

appreciate the info...i'm heading to the dealership today