Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gen1 sbc vs ls1 engine length

Old 10-24-2006, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen1 sbc vs ls1 engine length

Does anyone what the lengths for these engines are measured from the back of the engine(where it meets the trans), to the furthest point forward on the engine pulleys? My brother is considering the ls1 for a flatfender Jeep but he thinks it's longer than a SBC with a short water pump.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a truck motor so its a little longer than a LS1. But basically 28.75 inches water pump to the trans mount.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you swap for an LS2 water pump, it is a full 2" shorter than the LS1 or truck pump. You will need an LS6 crank dampener along with it so that the main belt drive lines up. I'll measure my setup since it is as described above.

Andy1
Old 10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Wow, great information. When you swap for the LS2 water pump, do the accesories still line up?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Depends upon which accessories you're running.

There are 3 different offsets.
1.) Shortest is the C5 / C6 / CTS-V accessory drives setups (CTS-V layout is slightly different than the C5 / C6 stuff. Both C5 & C6 Vettes run a high drivers side alternator, with the power steering pump right below. The LS2 style C6 water pump has a flat face, which yeilds additional clearance (vs the LS1 style water pump which is round nosed).

2.) F-body / GTO accessory drives are slightly longer (like 3/4"). Arrangement of components is different than the C5 package (low drivers side alternator with PS pump above)

3.) Longest is the truck accessory package (like 2" longer than the C5 package) Components are arranged roughly the same as the C5 / C6 package.

So, if you're using the truck accessories, you can't just slap on the LS2 water pump.

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+ to what 'JustDreamin' said.

I kept my accessories in the same relative locations as the stock FBody (LS1). By adding the LS2 water pump and LS6 dampener, I had to make two changes (but actually three are required in your case). 1) You'll need an LS6 belt tensioner, as the dampener moves the belt closer to the block by .83". It bolts to the LS2 water pump tensioner location. 2) The alternator must also move back .83". In my case I made a new mounting bracket. If you choose the high mounting, then the stock Vette bracket will work. I am not using a power steering pump; if you are, then the entire Vette system should work, as mentioned. 3) The AC drive on the LS6 dampener is 1.2" closer to the block than an FBody. I kept the AC compressor in the same relative position, but moved it down 1.25", out (from the crank centerline) 0.5", and back 1.2". The lower mounting allowed for clearing the exhaust manifold. The stock LS6 AC drive belt works out in my case, since it is 1.0" longer than the FBody belt. Hope this helps.

Andy1
Old 10-25-2006, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Yes, all great information, greatly appreciated! I am hoping to move all the accessories down a bit so it doesn't cloud the beauty of the motor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gen1 sbc vs ls1 engine length