Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the closest alternative to GMMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the closest alternative to GMMG

Hello,

I have been looking at cat back exuast for sometime now. I love the sound of the GMMG it's just very pricey, anyone have any suggestions on something that is similar in sound without that price tag?? get back to me guys....Thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stainless Works has similar set up as GMMG I believe.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Texas Speed 3" catback with a Powerstick chambered muffler to replace the bullet muffler.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=195&catid=46

$225 without tips and the Powerstick will be about $60. So about $400 installed isn't bad at all.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

cheapest = summit chambered mufflers.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

cheapest is to have a guy at a local muffler shop cut out your muffler and weld in a pipe

GMMG is straight pipes
Old 10-25-2006, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought GMMG was a chambered muffler? It doesn't sound like straight pipes to me.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
I thought GMMG was a chambered muffler? It doesn't sound like straight pipes to me.
It is, but this is the internet. On here, the laws of physics, or reality for that matter, don't exist.

Therefore, a chambered muffler (on the internet) = straight pipes

Period.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

ok, ill be scientific.

its a stainless steel pipe with dents in it.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cop Car
ok, ill be scientific.

its a stainless steel pipe with dents in it.
don't forget the baffles!!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chambered mufflers are much more than just a pipe with dents in it. Thats like saying a bullet muffler is just a straight through pipe. The chambered mufflers get their awesome sound from the baffles that are created by the crimps in the outer shell. Depending on what brand, most chambered mufflers also have a stainless packing in the baffles also.

Both types of mufflers have a very distinct sound and tone to them, neither sound like straight pipes at all.

So you're saying this sounds like straight pipes? http://www.eadperformance.com/35thvi...0driveway2.mpg

If anyone wants more info/prices on either type of muffler, send me a PM/email.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98redM6
Texas Speed 3" catback with a Powerstick chambered muffler to replace the bullet muffler.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=195&catid=46

$225 without tips and the Powerstick will be about $60. So about $400 installed isn't bad at all.
I've heard the TSP rumbler in person and on a cruise. It was on an LT1 and it sounded OMG!!... ... Ohhh sooooo NOICE!

I haven't heard the GMMG in person/cruise... but this one sounded OMG.... THE throatiest EXH I've heard YET... HANDS DOWN! (W/ an ORY and LT's BTW)
Old 10-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Trunion King

How is this thing sound w/ 2.5" true duals. I didn't hear any blaaattt sound on that exhaust at all.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

you basicly said it yourself that its a straight pipe with dents in it
Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Tim @ EAD Performance
The chambered mufflers are much more than just a pipe with dents in it. Thats like saying a bullet muffler is just a straight through pipe. The chambered mufflers get their awesome sound from the baffles that are created by the crimps in the outer shell. Depending on what brand, most chambered mufflers also have a stainless packing in the baffles also.

Both types of mufflers have a very distinct sound and tone to them, neither sound like straight pipes at all.

So you're saying this sounds like straight pipes? http://www.eadperformance.com/35thvi...0driveway2.mpg

If anyone wants more info/prices on either type of muffler, send me a PM/email.
don't tell cop car that. for some reason, he's the biggest GMMG hater in existence. he's posted in every GMMG thread to date that i've ever seen, all bashing the catback whether the OP asks for it or not. just ignore it.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

people who spend $800 on straight pipes dont want to be told what they really bought. no mater what it still sounds like ***, and im not the only one that thinks so.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Default yo

Hey thanks alot for all the input. I think im gonna go with the texas speed setup, what do you guys think?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Tech Resident

people who spend $800 on straight pipes dont want to be told what they really bought. no mater what it still sounds like ***, and im not the only one that thinks so.
is a magnaflow muffler a straight pipe? it's just a straight pipe through - just like a GMMG - yet it sounds absolutely NOTHING like an open cutout. how about an SLP loudmouth? that's as straight piped as it gets in the realm of catbacks, yet it sounds different than a cutout.

how about bullet mufflers and sweet thunders on true duals? they're both "straight pipe" by your definition, yet have you ever heard them? they sound NOTHING alike. not even CLOSE. explain to me how two different "straight pipes" sound nothing alike?

you use absolutely no logic in your posts at all. all it is is GMMG-hating. my guess is you can't afford it so you've made it a personal mission to make sure no one else will buy it, either. it's just a stab in the dark, but i'm pretty good with a knife.

i know, i know, but what are you gonna do?

note to the OP: even if you get the texas speed setup and weld in a chambered muffler, it will not sound identical to the GMMG. the GMMG system is probably the most "tuned" catback for the LS1. the GMMG catback uses 2 chambered mufflers first off, so it'll sound much different than welding a powerstick in the I-pipe. i also want to point out that the GMMG chambers are a certain length, also, as the length of the chamber will determine the tone partially. also, a powerstick is different from the chambers GMMG uses.

you will not be able to replicate the sound exactly. if GMMG is the "perfect" sound for you, the only way to get it is to buy the GMMG. i just want you to know that all the chambered mufflers in the world won't make your car sound like GMMG unless it's designed exactly the same. every bend in the pipe, every dent on the chambered mufflers, every quarter inch that makes up the chambered mufflers are what make GMMG sound like a GMMG.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-25-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
is a magnaflow muffler a straight pipe? it's just a straight pipe through - just like a GMMG - yet it sounds absolutely NOTHING like an open cutout. how about an SLP loudmouth? that's as straight piped as it gets in the realm of catbacks, yet it sounds different than a cutout.

how about bullet mufflers and sweet thunders on true duals? they're both "straight pipe" by your definition, yet have you ever heard them? they sound NOTHING alike. not even CLOSE. explain to me how two different "straight pipes" sound nothing alike?

you use absolutely no logic in your posts at all. all it is is GMMG-hating. my guess is you can't afford it so you've made it a personal mission to make sure no one else will buy it, either. it's just a stab in the dark, but i'm pretty good with a knife.

i know, i know, but what are you gonna do?

note to the OP: even if you get the texas speed setup and weld in a chambered muffler, it will not sound identical to the GMMG. the GMMG system is probably the most "tuned" catback for the LS1. the GMMG catback uses 2 chambered mufflers first off, so it'll sound much different than welding a powerstick in the I-pipe. i also want to point out that the GMMG chambers are a certain length, also, as the length of the chamber will determine the tone partially. also, a powerstick is different from the chambers GMMG uses.

you will not be able to replicate the sound exactly. if GMMG is the "perfect" sound for you, the only way to get it is to buy the GMMG. i just want you to know that all the chambered mufflers in the world won't make your car sound like GMMG unless it's designed exactly the same. every bend in the pipe, every dent on the chambered mufflers, every quarter inch that makes up the chambered mufflers are what make GMMG sound like a GMMG.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

good job in comparing bullet mufflers, chambered mufflers and chambered exhaust as being the same thing. you are way out of the ball park. want to compare the stock muffler while you are at it?

SLP loud mouth and GMMG and other chambered exhaust will all sound the same as straight pipes. any straight flow mufflers or bullet mufflers are completely diffrent.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:36 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job in comparing bullet mufflers, chambered mufflers and chambered exhaust as being the same thing. you are way out of the ball park. want to compare the stock muffler while you are at it?

SLP loud mouth and GMMG and other chambered exhaust will all sound the same as straight pipes. any straight flow mufflers or bullet mufflers are completely diffrent.

Quick Reply: What is the closest alternative to GMMG