I saw someone get ran over in Humble area

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I saw someone get ran over in Humble area

Well it was Tue Oct 26th I was at home just chilling thinking how nice it was out that it would be great to ride my 06 R6 out to Galveston. So about 10:30 ish I was dressed and ready to go, I ran out of smokes so I needed to stop and get some on the way. I came down will clayton, to atascociata rd and decided to stop and get the smokes now and not later in my trip. I then pulled my bike into the Valaro gas station, I stopped my bike and was looking at the intersection of atascocita rd and will clayton. I hear a rumble from a dump truck, you could hear the tires on the truck like as it was moving a good clip. As I looked up, I hear this hugh crash and saw the City Dump truck run clean over a jeep cherokee, then the dump truck continued on out of control on the corner at Walgreens, almost landing in the walgrees parking lot. I imeaditly ran over to the jeep, that was tipped completely over on its side and gas pouring out of it like it was water, it was dumping all the fuel everywhere. I got there first and saw a guy in the jeep, laying on the ground inside the jeep, he was not moving at all, and this jeep is completely SMASHED, there are no words to describe it. Well I jumped up on the top, and pulled myself on the passanger side window, trying to yell down at the guy to see if I could at min get him to come to or something, just get him concious. Then another guy came up mind you all kinds of people around, and a lot just standing not really trying to help. Well the first guy that ran up to help me, said to run into walgreens and get a fire extinguisher, so I took off running and look on the corner and there is a guy laying there and people going up to him just not touching him or anything. Well I am runing towards walgreens and look at this guy, and his legs were like pretzles, it was something I have never seen, and he appeared to be dead. Well I had no chioce I had to keep going and get the fire extinguisher. So I run into walgreens and got the extinguisher, and ran back out, to the jeep. We as at this time there is about 6 other people tring to help. I came up to the jeep, had the fire extinguisher. We tried to get into the windshield to be able to get to the guy in the jeep, as 911 was called. Well a guy had a crow bar in his truck, we managed to get a hole in the window, as we had to be careful and not makes sparkes mind you that gas is now all around us and under our feet. So we go the whole open and tried to not move the guy but to see if we could at least get him to respond and be alert, as he was in bad shape, and bleeding from the nose, ears and his leg appears to be under the dash and he is laying partly on the ground were the jeep drivers side was. Well the ambulance arrived and luckly no sparks and no fire. So we backed up and told them were everyone was, this was when I got a good look a the guy on the corner unfortunatly, the ambulance guy walks up and puts a sheet over him, they get out the jaws of life for the guy in the jeep, then there was also a guy out in front of the dump truck that I never saw. I thought since the impact was so bad the maybe the driver was thrown out of the windshield, and got ran over by his own truck. Well that was not the case at all, there was two workers on that corner that were working on handycap ramps, the guy was completely ran over, there was a guy that was standing next to him, that was hit by the dump truck but thrown to the left and towards the walgreens parking lot. Well I was talking to one of the deputies and they were hauling this guy in an ambulance with his feet and legs pretty mangled. They had life light land and take the guy in the Jeep to the hospital, the last I heard is they were both in Critical condition. I was freaked out, I had to stay and give my account of what happened, and it took hours for them to finally remove the body and vehicles, when they flipped the jeep over there was practicly nothing left.

Here is a link to the story

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=4690433

I have seen other things before and this was just very very crazy and just plain nuts to be witness to. I am very dissapointed that only very few actually tried to help and didn't just sit around. As when I initially ran to the jeep, a guy yelled out to me and asked if anyone was in the jeep, not offering any assistance. It made me take the bike home for the day, it was about 2:30 when I was done at the scene.

It gave me light on the truth, just because you walk out the door doesn't mean you will for sure come back, so make sure to tell your loved ones you love them before leaving to go to work, school, ect . As anything can happen with the crazy idiots we drive with on the roads of Houston.

Jet
Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that's some ****. At least your okay and did offer help.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

man i herd about that, cant take life for granted, good karma will only come your way for what you did
Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow....that's crazy. i can't believe more people didn't try and help, maybe they were in some state of shock from witnessing it.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Wait. Why did the dump truck run over the Jeep?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Wait. Why did the dump truck run over the Jeep?

On the news they said he ran the light and loss controll
Old 10-26-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The dump truck ran a red light, hitting the back of the jeep, from were I was sitting it looked as though the jeep was turning onto will clayton and the dump truck running the light, from my point of view mind you I saw the impact, the front of the dump truck hitting the jeep and going air borne and contunuing on thru the corner. Other account witnesses say the jeep was just plain ran over from behind, actually ahead of the dump truck in the right turn lane and the dump truck ran over the back of the jeep and flipping the jeep in the turn lane landing on its side, which was possible. I saw it about the time of impact, but one thing I do know for sure, is that the dump truck ran the red light, as many witnesses saw the light being red.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JETG
The dump truck ran a red light, hitting the back of the jeep, from were I was sitting it looked as though the jeep was turning onto will clayton and the dump truck running the light, from my point of view mind you I saw the impact, the front of the dump truck hitting the jeep and going air borne and contunuing on thru the corner. Other account witnesses say the jeep was just plain ran over from behind, actually ahead of the dump truck in the right turn lane and the dump truck ran over the back of the jeep and flipping the jeep in the turn lane landing on its side, which was possible. I saw it about the time of impact, but one thing I do know for sure, is that the dump truck ran the red light, as many witnesses saw the light being red.
Well, THROW THE BOOK AT THEM.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Damn man thats awful, Thats what fire fighters and rescue workers deal with on a weekly or even daily basis. We might not have an accident that bad , however the driver or passengers may be killed. Its hard dealing with that **** man, last week I had a 14 year old girl in a rollover car accident and totally destroyed her face and shes got permenant brain damage with intercranial brain bleeding and blind in both eyes. When she arrived at the hospital I noticed she was getting ready for halloween..she painted her toenails black and orange, **** like that you never forget. Anyways great job man and sorry it wound up how it did and that just gives you an idea of how bad these drivers really are. Anyways, be safe on the roads guys.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:03 PM
9 Second Club

Wow man.. that gives me chills... My prayers to all those that were hurt or killed. Thanks for being a good human and helping without standing and rubbernecking...
Old 10-26-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its really awful when things like this happen and so many people just stand around and watch. it really pisses me off. glad you helped out. im sure the victims and their families are also greatful.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rabbit102
Damn man thats awful, Thats what fire fighters and rescue workers deal with on a weekly or even daily basis. We might not have an accident that bad , however the driver or passengers may be killed. Its hard dealing with that **** man, last week I had a 14 year old girl in a rollover car accident and totally destroyed her face and shes got permenant brain damage with intercranial brain bleeding and blind in both eyes. When she arrived at the hospital I noticed she was getting ready for halloween..she painted her toenails black and orange, **** like that you never forget. Anyways great job man and sorry it wound up how it did and that just gives you an idea of how bad these drivers really are. Anyways, be safe on the roads guys.

My brother in-law is a cop, and about two weeks ago. He was first on scene and helped a 18-19 yr old out, she took her last breath in his arms. So next time you think all cops are bad, think about all the stuff they see and have to do on a daily basis.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

That is a horrible story Jet, but you are right that it does wake you up and make you think a little more different about life. You are a good guy for helping out, too many slap-dicks out there nowadays that will just stand in the way and point.

I've been first on the scene on three different accidents so far, and always jumped in to help out where I could. I would hope someone else would do the same for me someday.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man thats awful. its shows alot that you went in there and helped out for that long. my prayers are also with the victims of the incident.. everyone be careful out on the streets, they can be deadly.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Do you now why a lot of people just stand around and watch? Everyone is so damn lawsuit happy these days. "Oh, he moved me and now my neck is permanantly damaged! He owes me a million dollars for all the lost wages for the rest of my life!"

I would certainly jump in and help, but still....
Old 10-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Fiery Features Director

I agree. One minute you are helping someone and the next minute you could be in court having to pay the person you helped. Society is messed up!

On the other hand, it is dangerous to help sometimes. Did you hear about the nurse who was killed on Hwy 6 trying to help an accident victim? Someone wasn't paying attention and pulled out of an apartment complex right in front of another car and was hit. The nurse stopped to help the person who caused the accident and then another car hit them sending her off into a ditch. The nurse died instantly. People don't watch the road when they drive.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zangel
On the other hand, it is dangerous to help sometimes. Did you hear about the nurse who was killed on Hwy 6 trying to help an accident victim? Someone wasn't paying attention and pulled out of an apartment complex right in front of another car and was hit. The nurse stopped to help the person who caused the accident and then another car hit them sending her off into a ditch. The nurse died instantly. People don't watch the road when they drive.
I saw that on the news. It was her 54th birthday and she had family in town to celebrate.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Sorry to hear about that....that kind of stuff makes for a bad day when you don't see it on a daily basis. It's great that you helped but for future reference don't move the injured unless the vehicles are on fire. Moving them could be A LOT worse than just leaving them be until trained help can properly remove them. We have very special ways of moving people who are victems of traumatic incidents. The best thing you can do is just try to keep them still and wait for help. We had a MVA one time where a bystander thought it would be better to remove a passenger from a car after being hit, turns out the patient in the car had a broken neck(C-2) and when moved without a c-collar the fracture severed the spinal cord and the patient stopped breathing

Gari
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Tell me about it rabbit, i'm on a FD near chicago, and we have a major interstate(I-57) run through out town.....many many bad accidents i have seen.

Originally Posted by rabbit102
Old 10-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

That is crazy!!!!